Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is the CA fishing for info?

tag
jacq
New Contributor

Is the CA fishing for info?

I disputed an account online to which I was sent a letter by the ca that they had not received any info from me supporting my position, were holding my account in dispute status for 30 days, and they would notify the CRA of that status. I immediately sent a DV as I'm sure this is not my account.

The ca verified with the one bureau that I disputed with, yet as of last night, nothing is showing it to be disputed with the other 2. It's been over a week since I received the letter. I'm thinking the ca doesn't have info to pursue if they're asking me for information! This is my first attempt in the process or correcting my CR...are these letters a standard response from CA? Should I print off new reports to show that the ca has failed to put the account in dispute?
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Is the CA fishing for info?

There is a nice catch in the code that if you dispute with the CRA the CA can ask for supporting documentaton.

However, if you DV - the onus is on them and you are to provide nothing.  I am not a fan of disputing with a CRA unless you have proof positive in your hands that the CA is in the wrong or in error.
Message 2 of 3
jacq
New Contributor

Re: Is the CA fishing for info?

Thanks, Lady_Scarlet,

I'll keep that in mind in the future. I started looking closer at this one b/c I had an AKA on this report that was incorrect, however, the initial matched that of my ex's current wife. After we divorced, we neglected to close out joint accounts. They proceeded to use them and eventually filed for bk. Because I was still listed as a joint holder, the creditors came to me, looking for their money! I couldn't pay their debt on top of what I had so I got a lawyer and filed myself. I have a suspicion that she, the new wife, used my info to open this account as she had access to all of my info in our old tax files, etc. (Yes, she's a slimy lil *&$^*). I was sorta hoping that the CA would answer the DV so I could prove my suspicions! I sent the DV so now I guess I'll just have to wait and see. Thanks for the quick input.
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.