cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a 'baseline' below which most creditors *won't* consider suing?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is there a 'baseline' below which most creditors *won't* consider suing?

For instance do most creditors not even bother with amounts owed less then $2k?

If their are valid questions about SOL for instance, would there be another 'baseline', in people's experience here? I'd imagine for instance suing for a $30k debt where there was say a 50/50 of winning an SOL dispute might make sense, where as 50/50 on a $1,500 debt might not. Anyone?
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
ChemGuy
Frequent Contributor

Re: Is there a 'baseline' below which most creditors *won't* consider suing?

I don't think so.  I personally know of someone sued for $600.  You have to remember that small claims handles suits for <$5k, so lots will go after the debts they can handle in small claims.  PLUS, you have to remember that firms often win their suits uncontested, because debtors don't respond to summons.  Also, filing a suit is cheap ($11 in Rhode Island).  So, bonded CA's can collect as little as $600 for $11....why wouldn't they?
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Is there a 'baseline' below which most creditors *won't* consider suing?

Some has to do with the amount owed   and some has to due with state law.......In my state a CA can not file suit!!!!!  they must hire an attorney!   Many attorneys will not handle small amounts.

BAM just won on 1 of his lawsuits against a CA because the barbags didn't show up. So there are many times that a suit is filed & their attorny doesn't show.  Works both ways!

NOW  My son owes $43,000 on line of credit........it is dropping from his CR in a few months   go figure..........they never went after him............now if that had been me they would have been all over me like flees on a dog!!!!

Message Edited by HappyDays on 03-18-2008 08:17 PM
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.