cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there any harm to disputing tradelines?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't mean this as sarcastic or rhetorical. I really want to know if ther's any harm in disputing items. I mean, seriously, what's the worst that can happen? I've been working on cleaning up my hubby's CR and I can't get anyone to validate anything. He has a common name and some trade lines have come off because its the wrong person, but when I send DV ltters, the CA just come back with a general letter so I have tried get in touch with OC, but to no avail. How can I pay the debt when I don't even know if they're our debts to pay? I want proof, not just a letter!

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Is there any harm to disputing tradelines?

What about harm to furnishers and CRAs in time and resources required to handle consumer disputes that demand proofs not required under either the FCRA or FDCPA?

If the results of a dispute or debt validation request are not acceptable to the consumer, and legal proofs are wanted, that is the purpose of the courts, where discovery and proofs are the focus.

Message 2 of 4
Broke_Triathlete
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I don't mean this as sarcastic or rhetorical. I really want to know if ther's any harm in disputing items. I mean, seriously, what's the worst that can happen? I've been working on cleaning up my hubby's CR and I can't get anyone to validate anything. He has a common name and some trade lines have come off because its the wrong person, but when I send DV ltters, the CA just come back with a general letter so I have tried get in touch with OC, but to no avail. How can I pay the debt when I don't even know if they're our debts to pay? I want proof, not just a letter!

Yes there is, at least in my experience regarding student loans. American Student Assistance was paid off back in 2012 (and closed in 2012) through a consolidation loan but they were mis-reporting. I disputed with the 3 bureaus and experian updated the report as a current collection as of Aug 2015 and now on CCT I have a "late payment" as of 6 months ago times 3 (3 ASA loans). My EX score dropped considerably because of this. I have disputed again with EX and also CFPB and I'm stuck with it until the end of 2017 when the accounts fall off. If the loans are paid off 4 years ago, how can I have a missed payment just 6 months ago? It is so messed up, so be careful!

Experian's response was that is the only data they have for the accounts. So I sent them a credit report back in 2012 showing they were paid off and closed back then and they said the documents I sent were not acceptable. Like I said above, be careful. Do so at your own risk.

Personal:

Business:

Message 3 of 4
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

There can be, depending on how the standard factors are impacted by the dispute.

http://www.myfico.com/crediteducation/whatsinyourscore.aspx

Impact isn't going to be fixed.  It is possible in some situations to see scores drop when a derogs is removed but even so, one is generally better off without the derog despite the scoring impact.

That may not be relevant to you though if you're sure that those tradelines do not belong to your husband.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.