Lsl7509

Is there anything I can do to change this???

I am just curious..Is there anything I can do to better My score? It looks like a lot of people on here have raised their scores a lot! What can I do?  I also heard that the things do not leave your credit report after 7 years..Is that true?  Like for instance, I have a 2 late payments on my car loan...My car is paid off and I made 58 on time....Will it ever be fixed?  Also I have little bills in collection, should I pay them off? Can you make a deal? Like to pay it and they take it off the credit report? I really want to buy a house, so I am trying to get my score up to 660 and it is at 575 and 601 at the credit places....

Moderator Emeritus
llecs

Re: Is there anything I can do to change this???

Lsl7509 wrote:

I am just curious..Is there anything I can do to better My score? It looks like a lot of people on here have raised their scores a lot! What can I do?  I also heard that the things do not leave your credit report after 7 years..Is that true?  Like for instance, I have a 2 late payments on my car loan...My car is paid off and I made 58 on time....Will it ever be fixed?  Also I have little bills in collection, should I pay them off? Can you make a deal? Like to pay it and they take it off the credit report? I really want to buy a house, so I am trying to get my score up to 660 and it is at 575 and 601 at the credit places....

I recommend looking at your FICO reports and tackle the items, in order, that hurt your score the most. This is found on page 2 of your report and ranks the items that hurt the most in order (1-4 items depending on your credit). Based on what those items are you can zero in and boost your score much quicker.

Per federal law (the FCRA), lates must disappear by 7 years. COs and CAs have to go away by 7.5 years from the DOFD of the debt. BKs have to go away by 7 or 10 years depending on the BK type, and judgments must go away by 7 years.

I would ignore the lates on the car note. The loan is closed and paid and there's a risk of them deleting the entire accounts rather than just the lates. At 7 years the lates will have disappeared. Per FICO, damage from 30-day lates generally disappear by 2 years. Not sure how bad those lates are on the car note.

You'd want to take care of the collections. The balance doesn't matter. In fact, whether you owe $0 or $10,000 the damage is equal per FICO. Send a DV. If they verify and you agree, then send a PFD.

Check your score source. If you pulled from sites other than myFICO then it's highly likely you don't have a FICO score, but a FAKO instead.

Welcome to the forums!

I'd suggest reading the following:

Common Abbreviations

Credit Scoring 101 - great for knowing what is in your credit score and to see how your score is impacted.

What Steps Do I Take - great for learning the repair process.

and Example letters - PFDs, GWs, DVs, etc.

Frequent Contributor
dabrian

Wow awesome advice! Alot of great info in your post.
NFCU Sig Cash-20k/ Amex BCP-19.4k/ Amex Costco-1.2k/Chase Marriott-12k/CSP-13.4k/ Freedom-5.5k/ Discover IT-14k/NCSECU-5k/Walmart-10k/Lowes-25k
Established Contributor
Cageym

+1 to what llecs said. Also spend some time in the Rebuilding area of the forum, there is a lot of advice and examples of how people fixed their credit.

What's in my wallet: Cap1 Venture NFCU Sig Visa Delta Gold Amex BCE Citi Simplicity IHG World MC Amazon Visa CSP
Starting Score: 5/2010 550-ish
Current Score: 6/20/2013 TU 800 6/20/2013 EQ 770 6/20/2013 EX 775
Goal Score: 800 accross the board
Lsl7509

Thank you!!!! Great advice!

Lsl7509

What is DVD and PDF?  

Senior Contributor
Walt_K

You mistyped the abbreviations.  It is DV and PFD. Check out the Common Abbreviations link llecs posted. DV is debt validation.  A timely DV letter will require a debt collector to cease collection activity until they provide the required response (which really isn't that much).  Run a search for DV or debt validation and you'll get all the details. 

PFD is pay for delete.  It's basically a contractual agreement that the creditor/collection agency (CA) will delete negative information in exchange for payment of the debt.  There are issues in negotiating a PFD.  For example, if the debt is still inside the statute of limitations, you want to be careful sending a PFD unless you are able to pay the full amount as you could be sued on the debt.  Again, if you run a search for PFD, you should find lots of threads.  You can also run searches in the rebuilding forum for PFD and [name of CA] to see which CAs are more likely to agree to PFD.  If you can't find anything, post about the specific CA and people will share their experiences, if any. 

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}