New Contributor
ChiTownTimmay

Is this a soft or hard inquiry?

I had a pretty hefty balance on one of my Chase CC's but always paid more than the minimum....cl = 7500, just sent in 6000 to PIF.  After reading on here I want to request a CLI because I want the high limits to prove i'm responsible but I don't want to risk a hard inquiry for it.  Does anyone know if requesting a CLI, specifically with Chase, will result in a soft or hard pull?  Thanks!
Frequent Contributor

Re: Is this a soft or hard inquiry?

ChiTownTimmay wrote:
I had a pretty hefty balance on one of my Chase CC's but always paid more than the minimum....cl = 7500, just sent in 6000 to PIF. After reading on here I want to request a CLI because I want the high limits to prove i'm responsible but I don't want to risk a hard inquiry for it. Does anyone know if requesting a CLI, specifically with Chase, will result in a soft or hard pull? Thanks!

All the CLIs that I was approved for in the past have been hard pulls. I don't really know though. One of these guys here will answer better than I can. :smileyhappy: Just wait...
Moderator Emeritus
fused

All CCCs are different. Amex won't pull a hard inq, whereas CITI might. Call them and ask before you pull the trigger!
Credit Profile -
FICO 08 Scores (09-16-2014): EQ 824, EX 817, TU 822
All three scores were 850. Lost points for not having an open installment TL. So, BE WARNED!!!!!
Credit History: 26+ years ~ AAoA: 12 years ~ Util: 1% ~ Inqs: EX 1 (Amex 07-15-2014)

New Contributor
ChiTownTimmay

The rep at Chase told me they "might" do a soft pull but he thinks it's a hard pull.  I've had the card for a year with no CLI as of yet.  My AMEX Blue i've had for almost 2 years, started out with 2k and now my limit is 12k.  They just increased me in May and then again in July.  I never requested it but I like it! :smileyhappy:
Moderator Emeritus
HappyDays

[ Edited ]
I paid off a chase CC awhile back. few weeks later I received an offer for 0% to transfer to chase. At the same time it told me that my CL was raised to double what it was.

Could be if PIF  they want you back & might automatic increase your CL.

This happened also with discover card

there was no pulls on either   but then I didn't ask for anything

Message Edited by HappyDays on 07-25-2007 05:01 PM
New Contributor
whitewitch23

It is probably a hard pull I talked to a customer service representitive just the other day about an offer i recieved he said that they can't even tell you wether or not you can be approved for their offers without a hard pull even if you give them your credit scores i respectfully declined his offer telling him that if he couldnt tell me wether or not it would be approved i didnt want the hard pull.

i would have loved to have seen his face talking to someone that knew those terms.. btw i love these forums lol

but back to subject most likely a hard pull but if you call the customer service they will tell you for sure they dont try to talk their way out of it pretty straight forward
Moderator Emeritus
fused

ChiTownTimmay wrote:
The rep at Chase told me they "might" do a soft pull but he thinks it's a hard pull.  I've had the card for a year with no CLI as of yet.  My AMEX Blue i've had for almost 2 years, started out with 2k and now my limit is 12k.  They just increased me in May and then again in July.  I never requested it but I like it! :smileyhappy:

Be a bit more forceful! Make them answer your question! When it comes to CCCs, I'm a real hard a$$ and almost always get my way, except for CITI.:smileyhappy:

Off topic here. You must be from Chicago. I haven't been there since 1988. I have a lot of relatives there, mostly in the Rogers Park (East) area. 
Credit Profile -
FICO 08 Scores (09-16-2014): EQ 824, EX 817, TU 822
All three scores were 850. Lost points for not having an open installment TL. So, BE WARNED!!!!!
Credit History: 26+ years ~ AAoA: 12 years ~ Util: 1% ~ Inqs: EX 1 (Amex 07-15-2014)

New Contributor
ChiTownTimmay

Well I already have a couple of CC's with Chase so it's not like I am applying for new credit and would need a hard inquiry...it's just a CLI with an existing acct, but I'll call back and push em around a little.  :smileyhappy:

Yeah, i'm in the northwest suburbs of Chicago.
New Contributor
ChiTownTimmay

So....if they automatically grant me a CLI then it's a soft pull?  But if I call to request it (or request it online) it's considered a hard pull?  Where's the logic in that?
Super Contributor
MidnightVoice

ChiTownTimmay wrote:
So....if they automatically grant me a CLI then it's a soft pull?  But if I call to request it (or request it online) it's considered a hard pull?  Where's the logic in that?

If you ask they have PP for a hard pull.  If they wish to offer, they do a soft pull.

And Chase have told me if I ask for a CLI it will be a hard pull.
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+