cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this good enough to monitor my credit?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is this good enough to monitor my credit?

So....I got into some trouble today and I really regret it. I forgot to go to BBB to check the name before even progressing and wished my parents just ignored the message like I told them too, but their my parents and I listened to them. I am now never doing anything important at work from now on.

Ok, rant over.

I had put a fraud alert on my credit and was looking for a good monitoring program. I was looking at Life lock and Trusted ID. I liked how they did most of the work for you and it sounded good to me since I have no clue what I'm doing. After a bit more research once I got home, I found this site's forum. Search through a bit and see what the opinions were, after reading through a lot of opinions and reviews on other sites. So I decided that I'll put up a fraud alert myself every 90 days and sign up for the Chase ID Protection program, since they are also my credit card company. So here are some questions I'd like to ask and be confident knowing it.

1. I had put a hold on my bank and credit account today after the incident to be safe. So, does it even matter if I have a hold? What could the worst possible thing happen if I lift it? I'm sure all I have to do is monitor account at least once everyday to check things and call if something is wrong. Is this good enough to do?

2. I have a chase card, can someone else ask for one while mine is still in use w/o canceling the current one?

3. Is this good enough protection? Placing fraud alerts after every 90 days and monitoring with Chase's program? As in protecting my credit from going bad and identity theft.

4. Since Life Lock and Trusted ID look for address changes and whatever else on the black market, does fraud alert detect that? If not, what is the free method?

5. When renewing fraud alert, do I have to write to the 3 credit bureaus or could I just call them, like Equifax, or online with Experian?

I hope I didn't confuse anyone and thanks for taking the time answering my questions.

Message Edited by kyeong on 06-29-2008 01:35 AM
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: Is this good enough to monitor my credit?

Hi, kyeong, welcome to the forums!

I must have blinked. What happened to trigger all this?

LifeLock is a waste of money, IMO. If you're willing to give it several days of reading, you can learn everything you need right here and do it for free. I think that you figured this out, but I'm not sure from your post. (sorry)
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, all I've figured out is to put a fraud alert on my credit and signed up for credit monitoring, is there anything else I need to do? Could help point me in the right direction?
Message 3 of 9
aftermath
Established Contributor

hangook?
American Express Blue Cash Everyday $6600
Barclays US Airways Premier World Mastercard $14500
Chase Sapphire Preferred $5000
Chase Freedom Visa $1000
Chase United Explorer $8500
Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select Visa Signature $7500
Citi ThankYou Premier World Mastercard $7500
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

aftermath wrote:
hangook?

What are you asking?

Message 5 of 9
aftermath
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@aftermath wrote:
hangook?

What are you asking?

just checking to see if it's someone I know.
American Express Blue Cash Everyday $6600
Barclays US Airways Premier World Mastercard $14500
Chase Sapphire Preferred $5000
Chase Freedom Visa $1000
Chase United Explorer $8500
Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select Visa Signature $7500
Citi ThankYou Premier World Mastercard $7500
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am Korean, but not someone you know. This is just an anonymous name I just made.

Now please back to the original questions please.
Message 7 of 9
wahmom
Frequent Contributor

haulingthescoreup wrote: Hi, kyeong, welcome to the forums! I must have blinked. What happened to trigger all this? LifeLock is a waste of money, IMO. If you're willing to give it several days of reading, you can learn everything you need right here and do it for free. I think that you figured this out, but I'm not sure from your post. (sorry)
I think I missed something too. Could you please tell us what happened (if you don't mind) so that maybe someone here can help you? I'm not understanding from your post what you are asking. Are you asking about these services in general or did something take place where you need to use these services immediately?

Message Edited by wahmom on 06-29-2008 09:25 PM
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Basically, someone got my SSN, claiming to be collection agency. They haven't done anything serious with it so far since it's only been 1-2 days.

Also, should I report this to the police?

Message Edited by kyeong on 06-30-2008 02:39 AM
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.