Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this legal from the CRA?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is this legal from the CRA?

When I consolidated my student loans, apparently there was a loan that was not included and the college is reporting on my credit report that I owe them $1000.00.  It shows on the credit report educational collection chargeoff with a balance of $1000.00.  The collection company that now has the account is also reporting the $1000 collection and lists the college as the original creditor.  My question:  1.  Is this double reporting legal, and if not what law are they breaking?  2.  I heard that the original creditor (my college) by law should report a 0 balance since the account has been sold to a collection agency.  Can someone please give me some EXPERT advice on how to handle this account.  I have disputed the debt that the college placed on my credit report and EQ and TU removed the item.  Experian is the only CRA that is still reporting this account from the college.  The collection agency is reporting the collection account to all 3 bureaus.  I am in the process of getting the Collection consolidated with my other student loans.  Any suggestions about how to get this collection removed for good!
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Is this legal from the CRA?

Experian is the most difficult of them all.....Maybe someone else can tell you what legal grounds you may have...   
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.