Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this normal?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is this normal?

My Experian Fico score (from MyFico) is a 640, my mortgage score is 540! Everyone in the forums and pretty much everywhere else say that the mortgage score shouldn't be far off from the fico score. Mine is 100pts off/lower ... How is this possible?
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Is this normal?

@Anonymous wrote:
My Experian Fico score (from MyFico) is a 640, my mortgage score is 540! Everyone in the forums and pretty much everywhere else say that the mortgage score shouldn't be far off from the fico score. Mine is 100pts off/lower ... How is this possible?

Its very possible.  Two different models.  Youre looking at Fico 08 vs Fico 04.  hard to say what causes the score diffference but many people see significant difference between the two.

Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

All of these different scoring versions and systems are stressful. I just signed up with creditrepair dot com hopefully they can help me raise these mortgage scores.

I've been searching everywhere online and the mortgage fico scoring system seems to be the one that has everyone confused as to what factors are most/least important.
Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
All of these different scoring versions and systems are stressful. I just signed up with creditrepair dot com hopefully they can help me raise these mortgage scores.

I've been searching everywhere online and the mortgage fico scoring system seems to be the one that has everyone confused as to what factors are most/least important.

I wouldnt waste my money on a credit repair company.. Anything they can do for you, you can do yourself.  I suggest you visit our Rebuiding Your Credit forum and ask for help to repair any 'baddies' on your credit report.

And yes, all of these scoring systems can be stressful.  Good luck and hang in there.

Message 4 of 13
EmmaGolden
Frequent Contributor

$99 Monthly..save your money, you can do it here with all the info available & along the way learn. So, much more rewarding

Message 5 of 13
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Depends on the data in your reports.

Don't just assume that different models should be the same or similar.  There can be quite a bit of variance depending on the details.  If you really want to dig into this then don't overlook the Understanding FICO Scoring subforum.

@Anonymous wrote:
All of these different scoring versions and systems are stressful.

Why?  If you only look at the numbers and don't understand how report data is assessed then it can certainly be confusing.  Don't just fixate on the numbers.  Focus on the data in your reports.  Any score is generated based on the data in a report.  Good reports will lead to good scores.

It is what it is.  Creditors/products don't all use the same scoring model so you'll have to educate yourself and consider how a given scoring model is relevant to a given creditor/product versus assuming that you can rely on just one scoring model.

@Anonymous wrote:
I just signed up with creditrepair dot com hopefully they can help me raise these mortgage scores.

Don't waste your time and money with credit repair services.  This site, these forums and even other credit sites can help.  You can educate yourself and assess your own reports.  You can also have others give you feedback if you're willing to disclose enough.

Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

You're absolutely correct with everything you've said. I guess my issues stands with the lenders telling me/us that our scores need to be a 640+ to qualify for a mortgage but not being specific as to which version of the score needs to be 640+. Like I said my mortgage score (540) is 100pts lower than my "Fico08" (640) at this rate I could improve to a 720 and my mortgage score would be 620, and in turn still not being eligible. 

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

mine is 19 points away from my Fico 8 for TU. Experian is same as Fico 8 and 30points for Eq. I assume this model relies heavily on installment loans. So if you maintained well installment loands. It should be good. I have 17 from student loans so maybe that is why mine is higher

Message 8 of 13
Peteyglad
Established Contributor

Mine was almost a 90 point difference. A 792 to 704.

Chase Sapphire Preferred 20k | Amex Delta Platinum 20k | Amex Hilton Aspire 20k | US Bank Cash+ 25k | Chase Amazon Prime 25k | Barclaycard Aviator Red 40k | Bank of America Alaska Airlines 42k | Chase Marriott 50k | Discover It 50.3k | Amex EDP 52k | Citi Thank You Premier 56K | Bank of America BBR 57.9k
Message 9 of 13
Bankrupt2019
Established Contributor

My mortgage scores are 25-45 points different than my FICO 8's

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.