cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is utilization based on total overall, or per card?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is utilization based on total overall, or per card?

I am sure this has been asked else where and I appologize, but I couldn't find the answer searching.

Is utilization calculated based on your total available credit overall, or by each card? For example, if I have say $10k in open credit cards, most carrying a 0 balance, but I have two that I primarily use and frequently charge way up and then pay down, is the high utilization on those two hurting me? 

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Is utilization based on total overall, or per card?

Both.

While Fair |Isaac has not released the details of weightings, they have stated that scoring of util of revolving credit is based on three factors.

The overall % util of all revolving accounts, the % util of individ accounts, and the percent of accounts carrying a monthly balance.

For inividual cards, the scoring penalty at higher util levels is more drastic for the same % difference than at lower % util levels.

For two consumer having the same overall % util, if one has inivid cards that are at or near max, their score will most likely be lower than a consumer who has all cards at essentially the overall % util level.

Message 2 of 3
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Re: Is utilization based on total overall, or per card?

@Anonymous wrote:

I am sure this has been asked else where and I appologize, but I couldn't find the answer searching.

If a site's search feature isn't getting you results then try a site restricted Google search.  For this site you'd just add site:ficoforums.myfico.com to your keywords.  Here an example using words from your post:

https://www.google.com/search?q=overall+per+card+utilization+site%3Aficoforums.myfico.com&oq=overall+per+card+utilization+site%3Aficoforums.myfico.com&aqs=chrome..69i57.8351j0j9&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=0&ie=UTF-8

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.