Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue with Student Loan Hard Pull(s)

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Issue with Student Loan Hard Pull(s)

I had gotten in trouble with some student loans a while back. The problem was compounded by the sleazy collection law firm that they hired (they are currently being sued by the Illinois Student Assistance Commission(ISAC)). Although a judgment was filed, they were so lazy it never showed up either on my credit report or public records...just as an entry(paid collection) on my Experian credit report. It was reported by the law firm.

I called the Student Loan people and asked them to get it removed. For some reason they did a hard pull on both Experian and Equifax. Can they legally do this? I didn't authorize it and since the DOFD was 1999 and the loan was completely paid off back to ISAC directly in 2004 rather than through the collection agency. Do they have any standing to pull CRs? They certainly didn't get my permission to do this.

Also, its weird that on my full experian, it just shows up in my accounts in good standing section as a paid collect, but it doesn't show up in the front part as a Potentially negative item, but as an account in good standing....but it shows up as a collection in Truecredit.. They said it was "so they could see what was on the report, so they could fix it".

I told them I was going to be getting a mortgage soon, so inquiries from them would not look good, plus could affect any of my open accounts. They offered to write a letter to any possible lender, but I think I'm screwed.

Is there a way to have the inquiry removed if it isn't a legitimate pull? Inquiring minds...

Thanks, Kevin

Message Edited by KevinB on 07-17-2007 11:09 AM

Message Edited by KevinB on 07-17-2007 11:10 AM
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Issue with Student Loan Hard Pull(s)

Afraid so. Sounds like they had PP.

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Issue with Student Loan Hard Pull(s)

I only told them that there was an issue with Equifax. Does that give them PP to do Experian too?

Kevin
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.