cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JCPenney CSR signs me up for JCPenney.com account without my consent.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

JCPenney CSR signs me up for JCPenney.com account without my consent.

Hey everybody, I was on the phone with a JCPenney CSR representative placing an order yesterday, the order went through just fine. But just today I got an email saying "thank you" for registering/signing up for a JCPenney.com account (type of free basic account where you sign in with your user name and password when you get ready to make a purchase online). I never asked to be signed up for an account online with Walmart. So I phoned them and told them what happened and they said that sometimes the CSR on some occasions may sign you up for a JCPenney.com account in order make it easier for you if you ever want to purchase something online. I told them it looks like fraud, and they said that they agree to an extent because they think customers should always give consent to a CSR when they want to sign up for something. I have the CSR's (the one that did my order over the phone) name and time that I talked to him, so I can document things if I have too. It's just bogus that a CSR signs you up for an account when you don't give consent and I think it is just plain wrong. I told them to close the account permanently, and they did.

Has this happened to anyone else, and what other steps should I take probably? 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Callandra
Valued Contributor

Re: JCPenney CSR signs me up for JCPenney.com account without my consent.

Well, if they say it's closed, it's closed. You could try escalating the complaint to a supervisor if it upsets you. That sort of account tends to encourage repeat shopping/orders so most likely CSRs are told to go and make the accounts for customers (or they have some sort of quota so they just go and do it and most people won't complain/care anyway).

Not exactly the same, but I bought something at Sears (in store) and the cashier went and signed me up for their rewards program. I was really annoyed (I should have known better when they asked me for my phone number...). You would think they would ASK to join their rewards program. I worked in retail too and I always asked for people to join the rewards programs. I thought about going back and complaining but I'm sure nothing would be made of it since retail stores get crazy goals for rewards programs/CCs and management cares more about the numbers than one random unhappy customer. 

Quicksilver $10,000 | Better Balance Rewards $2000 | Sallie Mae $3500 | Freedom $3500

Last HP: 9/27/2015
Message 2 of 5
14Fiesta
Established Contributor

JC Penney seems really weird about stuff like this. I'm pretty sure they have a quota for stuff like CC apps and the such. I made the mistake of shopping in store on the last day of the month, and they just about held my purchase hostage unless I applied for a JCP credit card. I literally had to tell the cashier no like 15 times, and he seemed to argue with me that he wants to do the app for me anyway to "save me money". Ridiculous. Smiley Mad

EX FICO (AMEX): 728 (4/29/17) | TU FICO (Discover): 737 (4/7/17) | EQ FICO (Citi): 746 (3/28/17)
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Callandra wrote:

Well, if they say it's closed, it's closed. You could try escalating the complaint to a supervisor if it upsets you. That sort of account tends to encourage repeat shopping/orders so most likely CSRs are told to go and make the accounts for customers (or they have some sort of quota so they just go and do it and most people won't complain/care anyway).

Not exactly the same, but I bought something at Sears (in store) and the cashier went and signed me up for their rewards program. I was really annoyed (I should have known better when they asked me for my phone number...). You would think they would ASK to join their rewards program. I worked in retail too and I always asked for people to join the rewards programs. I thought about going back and complaining but I'm sure nothing would be made of it since retail stores get crazy goals for rewards programs/CCs and management cares more about the numbers than one random unhappy customer. 

Yes definitely, they told me it's closed, so I take that it is the end of it, but to protect myself I did order a replacement credit card (the one I use when I shop at JCPenney stores and online), becasue these days you just never know about anyone. Also I changed my email address so that they can't register me for anymore JCP.com accounts. In addition they said they purged my street and phone numbers from their database. But even if they didn't, I am not worried about people having a street address or phone number, but I changed the important stuff like email addresses and my credit card information. I am one of those people that are proactive, because if one signs someone up for anything without their consent, it looks dishonest in my book, even if no harm is done. It's a sad truth that management only cares about numbers at a lot of these stores, but I may have to start finding somewhere else to shop.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@14Fiesta wrote:

JC Penney seems really weird about stuff like this. I'm pretty sure they have a quota for stuff like CC apps and the such. I made the mistake of shopping in store on the last day of the month, and they just about held my purchase hostage unless I applied for a JCP credit card. I literally had to tell the cashier no like 15 times, and he seemed to argue with me that he wants to do the app for me anyway to "save me money". Ridiculous. Smiley Mad

Thanks, upon reading your post I now know I am not alone. I have shopped at plenty of other stores, including Target, and they have never done this. Maybe it's just something with JCPenney. Even if no harm is done, you ask for customer consent on these types of things. I would recommend you take your business elsewhere one day, because I sure will. 

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.