Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Joint Accounts

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Joint Accounts

What are the negatvies associated with closing joiont accounts. My wife and I are disovling our marriage and I'm wondering how closing our joint accounts will affect my credit score as I try to refinance the home. Any guidance would greatly be appreciated. Thanks!
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Boswd
Valued Contributor

Re: Joint Accounts

first off sorry to hear about your marriage.   But since you are splitting up  I would close those cards or at least get your name of off them ASAP.   And don't worry about any  slight negatives it might have on your CR.     This could turn ugly fast when you have outstanding joint accounts still open.  Get your name separeted on every account including your bank accounts.   
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the concern, I don't wish this on anyone.... Thanks for the advice, it makes sense.
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Id just like to echo the above sentiments.  Get everything out of your name that you can.  I got totally ripped in my divorce.  We were supposed to both pay on the house untill it sold and split up the joint credit cards (she pay off half and me as well).  We also had a car in our names that she was supposed to keep and pay.  Well, next thing I know, she files bankruptcy so guess where that leaves me?  Holding the entire bag....liable for all of it.
I say that to say this, divorce is typically ruff on credit.  Make sure you watch your credit like a hawk for the next year or so and insist that all agreements to split up the debt are kept and done in a timely manner.
Message 4 of 9
Boswd
Valued Contributor

yeah too many horror stories about an ex running up the cards or draining bank accounts and such.  And if your name is still attached, it doesn't matter if it is year after the divorce you are obligated to the debt.

Again sorry to hear this and good luck with everything.
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

BOSWD & CHall: Thanks for the help, it's greatly appreciated!
Message 6 of 9
Boswd
Valued Contributor

you're welcome
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

No problem. 
Message 8 of 9
sl
Established Contributor

sorry to hear about your divorce.  trust me when I say there is life after divorce....there really is.

but to the point.  don't just take your name off the accounts.  close all joint accounts that way nothing can come back to bite you.  By just taking your name off, you are still responsible for the balances should they become past due.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.