Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Joint account vs authorized user: how can I verify with out jeopardizing

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Joint account vs authorized user: how can I verify with out jeopardizing

My credit report shows that I am a joint account holder on 3 credit cards that are my parents cards. They are filing bankruptcy on those cards immenently. I need to get them switched on my credit report to reflect me as an AU, as I am 90% (not 100%) sure that I am not a joint acct holder.

How can I verify that I am indeed an authorized user and not a joint acct holder ASAP?
Will doing this put me at jeopardy for collection since it is still within SOL?
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Joint account vs authorized user: how can I verify with out jeopardizing

If you pull your 3 reports directly from the CRAs, you'll see a field within the TL that says something like "Responsibility" or something like that. In fact, if you already have your FICO reports, there is a field that says "Account holder" that indicates whether it is an individual account, a joint account, or an AU.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the response! The credit Reports show me as a joint acct holder. I assume I need to contact the cards directly to have them rectify this issue? This should not have an effe t on me or my parents bankruptcy?
Message 3 of 4
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Changing the responsibility might be a challenge. Most CC issuers won't let you change the status after the card is opened. The only way to stop the BK from reporting on that TL (Assuming they included it) would be to PIF and close it before the BK. It would hurt if the CC reported a BK. Worth calling to try though. If you did manage to get yourself off, it won't have any impact on the account or your folk's BK.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.