Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Joint credit account

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Joint credit account

Which banks/credit card companys offer joint credit cards(not authorized user), I want to use my girlfriend to get the card and be joint so it is approved on her credit but reports to my credit file.

Thanks,

Steve
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
SmartCookie
Valued Contributor

Re: Joint credit account

A huge amount of them do Steve.  What I would suggest is to see what cards she might be able to get with her FICOs and start from there.  She'd be best to apply alone first and then add you on as joint if she has the good CBRs.
EQ 787 EX 781 TU 737 11/17/07 *** I am not an attorney. If I was, I might not clip coupons. If you want legal advice, consult an attorney. If you want my personal opinion, feel free to consider my posts***
Message 2 of 8
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

I think most banks will do it for married couples, but will look at HHI and probably pull both CRs

I don't know the joing t/shared situation for COPOOS, or couples who do not live together.
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 3 of 8
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

SmartCookie wrote:
A huge amount of them do Steve.  What I would suggest is to see what cards she might be able to get with her FICOs and start from there.  She'd be best to apply alone first and then add you on as joint if she has the good CBRs.

Some CCCs and banks allow joint co-apps, but will NOT make AUs joint - they need a new application.

For me, Chase allowed DW to go from AU to joint, as did my Credit Union.  And my store card allowed me to go from AU to joint
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Does Authorized User mean that that other person is allowed to use the card, however, the card information is not reported on their credit report?  And do they pull the credit of the person you want to add as an Authorized User?
Message 5 of 8
SmartCookie
Valued Contributor

MidnightVoice wrote:

Some CCCs and banks allow joint co-apps, but will NOT make AUs joint - they need a new application.

For me, Chase allowed DW to go from AU to joint, as did my Credit Union.  And my store card allowed me to go from AU to joint

Oh yes sorry if I was unclear.  OP needs girlfriend to see what cards she can get that specifically allow joint cardholders and then apply, add OP onto that as a joint user, not AU.  Reason I suggest doing it this way is so that hopefully she gets a better CL on the original app.

Offhand I recall Chase (hmm or maybe it was whoever they took over, First USA?) telling me they could add my fiance on as either or, but they needed SSN for him to be added to my current CC as a joint, and that it could be done over the phone.  

And hey if you have kids... Gymboree Visa (US Bank) is having a promo and they offer joint but not AU ( or at least no AU's can be done on web app).

EQ 787 EX 781 TU 737 11/17/07 *** I am not an attorney. If I was, I might not clip coupons. If you want legal advice, consult an attorney. If you want my personal opinion, feel free to consider my posts***
Message 6 of 8
SmartCookie
Valued Contributor

Elexi21 wrote:
Does Authorized User mean that that other person is allowed to use the card, however, the card information is not reported on their credit report?  And do they pull the credit of the person you want to add as an Authorized User?

Joint users are equally responsible for the account and it reports on both CBRs.

Authorized users are not responsible for the account but still have their own card.  Depending on the CC co, they might report if they have your SSN though your credit had no part in the application.  This reporting is being phased out in 2008, so fairly soon, AUs will have no positive or negative CBR information based on the account.
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Great, thank you.
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.