Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Judgement Question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Judgement Question

Has anyone heard of paying a judgement within 30 days of issue to avoid it reporting to the credit agencies?  I am in Alabama.  I have googled this and can't find anything on it.  I'm assuming that I will have to contact the court to have the judgement deleted if this is indeed the case?  I paid the judgement within a couple weeks and now it's showing up on my CR's.
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Judgement Question

I have heard of this; however, the definitive answer will be in your state and local court rules. You can probably always file a motion to vacate the judgment. Check with your local AG.
Message 2 of 11
Boswd
Valued Contributor

Hmm   I don't think you can vacate the judgment if it has already been paid.  
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's what I was thinking.  Just sucks that you pay the judgment and have to keep paying for it for 7 more years due to credit reporting.  I understand bankruptcy reporting, but it just seems as when you pay a judgment, that should be the end of the story - you've paid your debt. Smiley Sad
Message 4 of 11
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

Like I said... check with your local and state laws. Smiley Happy
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

CHall wrote:
Has anyone heard of paying a judgement within 30 days of issue to avoid it reporting to the credit agencies?  I am in Alabama.  I have googled this and can't find anything on it.  I'm assuming that I will have to contact the court to have the judgement deleted if this is indeed the case?  I paid the judgement within a couple weeks and now it's showing up on my CR's.

I will tell you this though... I paid a judgement and later disputed it.  EQ deleted it!  I would definately dispute it.  I'm with you guys.  I don't understand how they can keep judgements on for 7 years.  If  you have a dispute with a neighbor and you lose the case fine. You pay and that should be the end of it. But why should that affect your credit.  It has nothing to do with credit.  I've read somewhere that a criminal record can also be listed in your credit report.  Is this true?
Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

CROCPA - Did you have to file any kind of "Satisfaction of Judgement" with the court when you paid the judgment?  Someone asked me this earlier and I have not done this nor do I know if it's necessary?
Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I paid a judgement but it is not showing as satisfied on my EQ report.  Can I dispute as not mine?  Or send proof of payment and then dispute later?
Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can dispute it as "satisfied".  I started a dispute yesterday on mine because it is showing nothing in the satisfied column.
Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I wonder if that will raise my score at all.  I have heard that a judgment, is a judgement, paid or not.  The only thing good about it being satisfied is if you are looking at a loan that isn't necessarily score driven. 
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.