Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Judgement w/company that has gone out of business

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Judgement w/company that has gone out of business

In January 2001 a judgement was placed against me by a CA.  This judgement was for a bill that I had at a company that has since gone out of business.  My question is would this judgement still be valid?  Or did the bill become the CA, even after the judgement was in place I would still get statements from the original creditor, up until they went out of business about 1 year ago.
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Judgement w/company that has gone out of business

ANYONE!!!
Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am new here but I would think you should dispute it on the reports
first and if they can't validate it they should remove it.
then if that didn't work try a DV letter to the CA and if they can't validate then it
should be removed..
Somebody with better info will reply for you..
Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
In January 2001 a judgement was placed against me by a CA.  This judgement was for a bill that I had at a company that has since gone out of business.  My question is would this judgement still be valid?  Or did the bill become the CA, even after the judgement was in place I would still get statements from the original creditor, up until they went out of business about 1 year ago.

Even though the OC went under the CA may have bought the debt from them.

This said, they may not have gotten the things needed to validate the debt when they bought the debt.

a judgement, as in through a court of law?

you may be stuck there, not sure you can DV after a judgement is rendered. Noah, or someone may know more about that.
Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had a simular situation, but with a "settled for less than full amount". I didn't settle for less, my car was stolen and the idiots totaled the car. My insurance company delt directly with the OC. It was reported as "settled" and I disputed it with all three CB's and two removed the TL all together. But EX will not. I tried to contact the OC to see who there could help me, and low and behold they are gone, OOB!

Now tell me how in the he!! EX could have verified this???

In your case, could the CB's verify with the courts, since it's a judgment? I don't know. Maybe one of the pro's will step in and help.
Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Lori, try a MOV letter to EX. they have to inform you of who they contacted and how if you request it in writing. Send it CMRRR
Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

jaguls66 wrote:
Lori, try a MOV letter to EX. they have to inform you of who they contacted and how if you request it in writing. Send it CMRRR

Thanks Jag... that's exactly what I'm going to do. I'm not hopeful with EX, so many here have reported that the MOV's come back "electronically verified" (Dear computer of mine.. is it true? Yes it's true.)

EX=ass bites.
Message 7 of 14
sunnyday
Frequent Contributor

Ex will probably say automated verification system, unless you are luckier than I was with them.  EX SUCKS
Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Consider these two things:
1. Court (public) records are filed with the Clerks office and stay there regardless of what happens to the parties and are accessible to the public and credit reporting companies either electronically or otherwise.
2. A Judgment is an asset to the Claimant/Plaintiff (company or individual) and when a company/individual goes out of business the Judgment may pass to successors in interest or heirs.......in any event, it remains a collectible asset (during its collectable life, usually 7 years).

Now, as to whether one holding a Judgment decides to pursue collection and to what extent is another matter.

Peace.
Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

lorileet wrote:

A lot is going to depend upon the state where you live and the court where the judgment was obtained.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.