Contributor
miz

Just need to vent . . .

I am so tired of my life revolving around my stupid fico score.  We are STILL trying to find a decent place for our family to rent in this small, rural town and found an apartment (which yes, sounded too good to be true, said we could bring our golden retriever and everything), and then find out they will be running a credit check.  GOOD GRIEF.  Her husband is a banker and works at the local bank, so what, just because you CAN???????  UGH.  I am so tired of having to explain myself.  My bad credit came from bad jobs that did not pay me on time and screwed with my paycheck and I am just tired of having to tell the same old stupid story.  I feel like I am being treated like a criminal or an idiot EVERYWHERE I go.  And who DOESN'T PAY THEIR RENT ON TIME?????  One thing we have NEVER DONE  . . . why would we risk our children out on the streets???  Just frustrated . . . now once again we are in "limbo" waiting for another NO, and someone else is in control of my destiny.  Thanks for listening!!!
Moderator Emeritus
Timothy

Re: Just need to vent . . .

You really need to have your rental history printed out and letters from you previous landlords.

So even if you have bad credit at least you can show you are a good renter.

Contributor
miz

They have my current landlord's number to call.  That's all I can give him, the last landlord is long gone, and the others are WAY back, not sure if they would even have a "rental history."  Everything is pretty much word of mouth around here . . .
Valued Member
ncyjse

I feel sorry for you and I was in the same situation a year ago and thanks God we found a place that we liked and the owner liked us and don't check the credit as I explained to him our problems and he trusted us.  I know you said there are no too many rentals in your area but drive around or check with people you know, some people do not advertise.  Good wishes to you and your family. 
Contributor
miz

Yea, my husband is willing to spend some time in a hotel, but the problem is the market is so tight in this small town that would be WAY too scary, as we would not know just how temporary it is.  It's a crazy little town I live in, and I have been looking for two months now and nothing out there . . . want to keep the kids here, of course is the main reason for staying.  I feel like I have exhausted all possibilities, but will keep plugging away. 
Frequent Contributor
MercyMe

O, my.  I am sooo sorry!  Are you new to this particular area?  Have you found a decent paying job within the area, that will pay you well enough, and might your employer vouch for you?  Is there a possibility of meeting with the woman's banker husband, or both, if you are  turned down, and having a heart to heart?  Sometimes small town bankers are more sympathetic.  What are your Ficos, if you don't mind my asking.  Just how rural and small is this place?   Where are you living now?  What social service organizations might there be in the area that might help you with housing?  Do you have family in the area who might assure the potential landlord that if you run into trouble they will help? 

As for your children, how many do you have?  How old are they?  I so appreciate your wanting better for them, but  the funny thing about kids is that so long as they have what they need and YOU, especially when they're younger, they can survive just about anything.  Besides, it's usually the hard times that build good, sound, character.  Faith and hope are born of having suvived the hardtimes.

Don't become so down on yourself that you fail to remember, it's the people within the house that make it a home.  Otherwise, it's just a house. Fill a shack with laughter and it can feel like a castle.  Fill a castle with sorrow and it will feel like a dungeon, and I could go on and on about that. 

Don't beat yourself up so badly.  So long as you've done the best you can, then there has been nothing more you could do, and the only thing left to do is to keep on keeping on telling the same old stupid story, as you put it, and because that's just the way it is.  You know where you've been.  You know where you are.  You know where you want to be.  The only way to get there is to put one foot in front of the other and keep going.

As for your ficos, well, they're fixable.  In time ... and if by one letter, one phone call, one dollar at a time.

Keep us posted, okay?

mercy -- who will be praying for you.
Contributor
miz

Whew.  Thank you for your kind words, you spoke right to my heart.  It's always comforting to hear some understanding for my plight when this world has turned so cold.  My children are okay, they know we are going to be okay and the one thing we have ALWAYS done is provided for them.  The last eight years have been pretty hard on my family and I, as we have gone through some pretty serious medical problems along with some bad employers who didn't really care that I needed my paycheck when it was supposed to be there.   Family is not much for us, as the only one who could/would help is my older brother, but he is having medical problems, and is being treated for cancer.  I certainly cannot ask him at this time in his life.  We will be okay, my husband and I have made HUGE strides in the last year (have been studying Dave Ramsey's way of life), and wow, it is so much easier to pay the bills when the paycheck is there when they say it is going to be there!!!!  Amazing!!  I work for a company in another state as I work at home, so they cannot really vouch for me there.  My scores are in the 500s, with the highest being 549.  Our family will be fine.  My kids are 12, 11 and 7.  And they know how to pull together and work together, and are willing to make a sacrifice to stay in this small town.  The town I live in has 2000+ and only has like MAYBE 10 houses on the market right now, but buying is not even an option for us at this point anyway.  I plan on talking to this gentleman when I take my app in this morning.  The funny thing is, I used to be in the banking business, wow was I an arrogant, unforgiving soul at that point in my life.  I swore this would NEVER happen to me and that people who were in this position were low-life!!  I have been humbled.  The world is not so black and white, is it?
Established Member
loriku

Don't give up...I'm a landlord and I only wish I could find a good tenant like you!!!  Too bad you don't live in my town.  I always consider what people are like when I meet them, not just their credit.  I have sometimes been burned but everyone deserves a chance!

Moderator Emeritus
masdeocho

miz wrote:
They have my current landlord's number to call.  That's all I can give him, the last landlord is long gone, and the others are WAY back, not sure if they would even have a "rental history."  Everything is pretty much word of mouth around here . . .

Do you have old bank statements or cancelled checks that show a history of paying your rent on time? 

Some people are pack rats and save all that stuff because this is one of those times when you need it.  At least that's what I tell myself about the boxes in the attic.  :smileyhappy:   If you don't have them, don't sweat it, there's other good advice here.
-----------------
Bartender, bring another round of FICOtinis please!

9.4.2011: TU 805. EQ 815.
Established Contributor
so_confused

Miz, I dont know what state you are in or if the laws will allow this but you can check....I worked in property management for many years...and sometimes if a applicant was marginal...I would allow them to personally guarantee themselves I would take the first months rent. and two months rent as a deposit. this way if they defaulted it gave me plenty of time to get them gone...dont know if that an option...but there you have it.
9/18/08 TU=707 EQ=706 EX=702

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}