Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just paid off my car loan...now what?

tag
joestay
Frequent Contributor

Just paid off my car loan...now what?

So, I just paid off my car loan.  Now I only have 3 active accounts opened now, which are all credit cards.  What should I do?  Should I find a loan to take out so that I have 4 active account?  I'm looking to buy a house this year and I'm afraid that with only 3 active accounts reporting, I will have trouble finding a mortgage loan.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
smallfry
Senior Contributor

Re: Just paid off my car loan...now what?

3 is fine just only let 1 card report a balance if your score is important.

Message 2 of 6
JagerBombs89
Established Contributor

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@smallfry wrote:

3 is fine just only let 1 card report a balance if your score is important.

+1.

Plus - that's great timing.  Now you could take the cash you were popping into your auto loan and save it toward your down payment or moving expenses; or use it to pay down any utilization you have on those CC's.

Congrats!!!

Message 4 of 6
Imhotrodcrazy
Valued Contributor

@joestay wrote:

So, I just paid off my car loan.  Now I only have 3 active accounts opened now, which are all credit cards.  What should I do?  Should I find a loan to take out so that I have 4 active account?  I'm looking to buy a house this year and I'm afraid that with only 3 active accounts reporting, I will have trouble finding a mortgage loan.

FICO 08
TU 842 12/8/18
EX 840 12/29/18
EQ 842 12/8/18
(NASA 30K) ( Amex 44k ) ( Freedom 10.6K ) ( US Bank Cash+ 20k, LOC 15k ) Winners never quit, and quitters never win
last app 2/15
Message 5 of 6
joestay
Frequent Contributor

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.