cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just received my SSN, when can I get my credit score?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just received my SSN, when can I get my credit score?

I'm an international student and just started working this month. I applied for SSN and received it last week. Before that, I was using a BoA's credit card for 2 years. And I linked my SSN to my BoA account right after I got it. Will the two years be regarded as a credit history? Or do I have to wait for at least 6 months to get a credit report?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
rmduhon
Valued Contributor

Re: Just received my SSN, when can I get my credit score?

I can't say for sure, but if the 2 years of history gets attached to your new SSN then it will created a score shortly after your card reports again. If it doesn't get attached then you'd have to wait the 6 months. Do you know when your card reports?
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes your credit history will go back to the opening date of your card. I had a US credit card from a Canadian bank before I moved to the US, and after I moved and got my SSN it showed up.

Technically you've had a credit file since the date you opened the card and you could have searched for your file using date of birth and address. Most lenders won't do that, they need SSN, so all that's changing now is that lenders can find your file using your SSN.

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I googled it and found that they will report on statement days. Thank you!

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the helpful information!

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@report on statement days

Yeah... it may take an agonizingly long time to show up, but when it does, assuming you have no negatives, I would predict you have a score in the 720 to 750 range, assuming no negatives at all on your file, and just that one card. Let me know how accurate my prediction is(n't) when it finally reports Smiley Happy

If that's the ONLY card you have then you have some decisions to make. Are you planning on a mortgage in the next year? Then just hang tight until that's done. If you are NOT applying a mortgage in the next year then you should open another 2-3 cards up as soon as you get your score. It'll saddle you with a bunch of HP's and slash your AAoA but that's eventually going to happen anyway and my suggestion is get it over with, so that in a year you're back where you are now but with all the cards you need. But, NOT if your'e applying for a mortgage -- best not to have any new accounts within a year or at a minimum 6 months before your mortgage application.

THOUGH.. try and avoid the temptation to apply just anything. I applied a few cards I will neve ruse (like the First Tech visa, and realistically I don't really need my Discover card) and I regret it. I don't regret applying for the ones I use all the time -- Amex BCE (3% groceries), CITI DC (2% everywhere), Amazon store card (5% there), and BoA Travel Visa (no foreign fee and 1.5% to 1.6% back). Those I use a lot. The rest, not so much.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.