Visitor
EJC

Landlord credit check

Do most landlords check your credit score these days? If they do, is that a hard inquiry on my score and it possibly goes down?

Valued Contributor
parakleet

Re: Landlord credit check

From my experience, yes, they do a credit check. I just apped for an apartment this weekend and I got a SW alert for a HP.

Gardening since 7/16/14
Current: EQ 711 7/13/14; EX 724 TU 721 6/19/14
Goal: 760+
Visitor
EJC

Sorry, new to these discussions - whats a SW and HP?

Moderator Emeritus
llecs

Welcome to the forums!

Common Abbreviations

SW = ScoreWatch

HP = Hard Pull (e.g. a hard inquiry)

Established Contributor
electra

EJC wrote:

Do most landlords check your credit score these days? If they do, is that a hard inquiry on my score and it possibly goes down?

Typically, yes, a landlord will want to do a credit check and if they do it themselves it will be a HP which will negatively impact your score.  This is especially bad if you live in an overheated rental market like where I live and chances are you'll have to take multiple pulls before getting a place because of stiff competition.

What I've been able to do is print out a report from myFICO and give them the first few pages instead of having them pull.  You might try that. If you pull it yourself, it's a SP, no impact.

Starting Score: TU:584 | EQ 584
Current Score: TU FICO: 711 | EQ FICO 713 | EX (USAA FAKO) 779
Goal Score: 780 across the board

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Established Contributor
ezdoesit

What I've been able to do is print out a report from myFICO and give them the first few pages instead of having them pull.  You might try that. If you pull it yourself, it's a SP, no impact.

Exactly what electra said I have also done this in the past most of the time they don't mind becauce it saves them time also why should a Landlord care it has your name, date of report.  I would try that first and see if they object.

Established Contributor
namvet

Yes they do credit checks as well as background checks.  I don't think the inquiry will cause any serious damage to your score.

Visitor
EJC

Thanks for the advice - thats a great idea to pull it myself and not get dinged!

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+