Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Landlord credit check

tag
EJC
Visitor
Visitor

Landlord credit check

Do most landlords check your credit score these days? If they do, is that a hard inquiry on my score and it possibly goes down?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
parakleet
Valued Contributor

Re: Landlord credit check

From my experience, yes, they do a credit check. I just apped for an apartment this weekend and I got a SW alert for a HP.

Gardening since 7/16/14
Current: EQ 711 7/13/14; EX 724 TU 721 6/19/14
Goal: 760+
Message 2 of 8
EJC
Visitor
Visitor

Sorry, new to these discussions - whats a SW and HP?

Message 3 of 8
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the forums!

Common Abbreviations

SW = ScoreWatch

HP = Hard Pull (e.g. a hard inquiry)

Message 4 of 8
electra
Established Contributor

@EJC wrote:

Do most landlords check your credit score these days? If they do, is that a hard inquiry on my score and it possibly goes down?

Typically, yes, a landlord will want to do a credit check and if they do it themselves it will be a HP which will negatively impact your score.  This is especially bad if you live in an overheated rental market like where I live and chances are you'll have to take multiple pulls before getting a place because of stiff competition.

What I've been able to do is print out a report from myFICO and give them the first few pages instead of having them pull.  You might try that. If you pull it yourself, it's a SP, no impact.

Message 5 of 8
ezdoesit
Valued Contributor

What I've been able to do is print out a report from myFICO and give them the first few pages instead of having them pull.  You might try that. If you pull it yourself, it's a SP, no impact.

Exactly what electra said I have also done this in the past most of the time they don't mind becauce it saves them time also why should a Landlord care it has your name, date of report.  I would try that first and see if they object.

Message 6 of 8
namvet
Established Contributor

Yes they do credit checks as well as background checks.  I don't think the inquiry will cause any serious damage to your score.

Message 7 of 8
EJC
Visitor
Visitor

Thanks for the advice - thats a great idea to pull it myself and not get dinged!

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.