Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Landlord reporting to CRA

tag
EAJuggalo
Established Contributor

Landlord reporting to CRA

I just signed a lease for a new house today.  At the signing the agent offered to report the lease and payments to CRA for $15/ month.  Would this likely do anything for me or my wife on our reports?  I have no derogs but not much history on my report, she has lots of derogs and a long history.

EX700 TU 704 EQ 694 4/03/22
Cap1 QS-$4,500 Chase Freedom Flex- $800 Chase Freedom Unlimited- $1,000 Victoria's Secret- $1,200 Citi DC- $800 Amazon Store Card- $3,500 AMEX Hilton Honors-$1,000 Discover It-$1,000 Wal-Mart MC $290 Chase Sapphire Preferred-$5,000 NFCU Flagship $13,800 AMEX BCE-$1,000 AMEX Gold-$5,000 AMEX Delta Blue $1,000 Lowe's $5,000 Navy Platinum $17,000 AMEX BBP $2,000
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: Landlord reporting to CRA

@EAJuggalo wrote:

I just signed a lease for a new house today.  At the signing the agent offered to report the lease and payments to CRA for $15/ month.  Would this likely do anything for me or my wife on our reports?  I have no derogs but not much history on my report, she has lots of derogs and a long history.

It would help if all payments are on time, but I wouldn't pay $15 month for it when most of your other creditors will do it for free.

I would only spring for it if I had no credit score and wanted to get one started.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 2 of 7
Credit_hawk
Established Contributor

Once again I'm rolling with South Jamaica on this. I wouldn't pay and I doubt it would be to all three bureaus if they did report and who knows if they're even referring to the big three bureaus. There's other agencies out there for utilities and stuff if memory serves me right.

Lastly, I couldn't help but notice the word Juggalo in your screen name. Fan of ICP, are you?

FICO- Experian: 797, TransUnion: 781, Equifax: 804 (Updated Monthly)
Message 3 of 7
EAJuggalo
Established Contributor

We told them no, but wanted verification on what I already thought.

Used to be a big fan, back in about 2002-03.  Screen name has still hung around, easy to remember and rarely taken.

EX700 TU 704 EQ 694 4/03/22
Cap1 QS-$4,500 Chase Freedom Flex- $800 Chase Freedom Unlimited- $1,000 Victoria's Secret- $1,200 Citi DC- $800 Amazon Store Card- $3,500 AMEX Hilton Honors-$1,000 Discover It-$1,000 Wal-Mart MC $290 Chase Sapphire Preferred-$5,000 NFCU Flagship $13,800 AMEX BCE-$1,000 AMEX Gold-$5,000 AMEX Delta Blue $1,000 Lowe's $5,000 Navy Platinum $17,000 AMEX BBP $2,000
Message 4 of 7
Credit_hawk
Established Contributor

@EAJuggalo wrote:

We told them no, but wanted verification on what I already thought.

Used to be a big fan, back in about 2002-03.  Screen name has still hung around, easy to remember and rarely taken.

Good call. Whoop whoop Smiley Wink

FICO- Experian: 797, TransUnion: 781, Equifax: 804 (Updated Monthly)
Message 5 of 7
CreditDunce
Valued Contributor

Even if they report the payments, I don't think it would affect your FICO score.  The CRA's are trying to create new credit risk models that use other payment history.  But it isn't included in the current FICO models.  Of course, I could be mistaken.  It isn't something I have looked at.

Message 6 of 7
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@CreditDunce wrote:

Even if they report the payments, I don't think it would affect your FICO score.  The CRA's are trying to create new credit risk models that use other payment history.  But it isn't included in the current FICO models.  Of course, I could be mistaken.  It isn't something I have looked at.

Actually I think you're spot on.  None of us really know how utility and rental tradelines are going to factor, and it's unlikely they're in the current version of algorithms.  New ones are being created specifically for the mortgage market which is where the complaints are coming from but I don't know if they will make inroads into other things, maybe auto lending would be my guess but there's usually options there for people who don't have credit at all.  Mortgage land is where people get stuck.

If I could establish or already had a traditional credit score, I wouldn't be chasing non-traditional tradelines for non-traditional scores (which mortgage wise are only going to be used if you can't qualify traditionally on some criteria), and paying $15/month to report, that seems scammish in my opinion... I looked into it last year as I was sort of considering renting out a room or my entire condo and the Transunion services didn't seem anywhere close to that expensive but maybe it's changed or more likely there are 3rd party middle men trying to make a buck, or several bucks in this case.

        
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.