Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Large or Small credit union?

tag
navistar
Regular Contributor

Large or Small credit union?

i have been reading complaints of the largest local credit union in my area about it being more difficult to get loans these days. I did my research and found that the large credit union has loaned out 72% of its assets so they are very likely maxed out until they see more growth. This CU has a very nice online website, nice cashback credit card and all the perks with a huge company. These are all great perks but not at the expense of a possible loan denial because they are tightening the cash flow.

The smaller credit union still has a billion dollars in assets and has only loaned out 50%. Of course they dont have an awesome cash back credit card and the offices/websites arent as nice. 

What is your preference for a Credit Union?

MyFico Equifax - 691
MyFico Experian - 692
Barclay Transunion - 682 (Last Updated 03/21/14)

Citi Diamond Preferred - $2,300 / Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage - $5,600 / Barclay - $4,600 / GE Care Credit - $1,000
Current Utilization - 52% / AAoA - 6yrs
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
14Fiesta
Established Contributor

Re: Large or Small credit union?

@navistar wrote:

i have been reading complaints of the largest local credit union in my area about it being more difficult to get loans these days. I did my research and found that the large credit union has loaned out 72% of its assets so they are very likely maxed out until they see more growth. This CU has a very nice online website, nice cashback credit card and all the perks with a huge company. These are all great perks but not at the expense of a possible loan denial because they are tightening the cash flow.

The smaller credit union still has a billion dollars in assets and has only loaned out 50%. Of course they dont have an awesome cash back credit card and the offices/websites arent as nice. 

Is there any talk about how they are for CC approvals/initial limits? I would think that if they are having a hard time issuing loans to people, that they would also create a strict UW criteria on their cards too, in order to prevent lots of huge TL floating out there. And even if approved, they might be issuing toy limits on the rewards card to everyone to prevent the same situation as described above.

EX FICO (AMEX): 728 (4/29/17) | TU FICO (Discover): 737 (4/7/17) | EQ FICO (Citi): 746 (3/28/17)
Message 2 of 4
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@navistar wrote:

I don't select based solely on size.  It's all about speciific products.  I'm only with PenFed for their PPCR card.

Message 3 of 4
navistar
Regular Contributor

the large credit union does have the much better credit card selections ( 1 being cashback on utilities). There will be a day that I want a new car and a mortgage. Guess if i get my reports strong enough, it wont matter where i apply for those.

MyFico Equifax - 691
MyFico Experian - 692
Barclay Transunion - 682 (Last Updated 03/21/14)

Citi Diamond Preferred - $2,300 / Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage - $5,600 / Barclay - $4,600 / GE Care Credit - $1,000
Current Utilization - 52% / AAoA - 6yrs
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.