cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Late Pay Error

tag
zero5578

Late Pay Error

When banks pull my credit report there is a late pay showing up from 5 years ago for a 90 day mortgage delinquency.  My credit score based on this is around 690.  The problem is, when I pull my retail credit report and score from the same service, the late pay does not show up (I've never late paid in my life) and my credit score shows up in the mid 740's.

I've tried to dispute the late pay with the reporting agencies (Equifax) but when I discuss with their customer service they say the late pay does not exist so there is nothing to dispute.  There is obviously a report that the banks pull that is different than what retail customers pull.

Anyone have any idea how to get this fixed?  It appears the mortgage company that reported the late pay sold the loan, reported late, then went out of business, so I have no ability to dispute with the mortgage company.  Credit bureaus are no help because they say it's not showing up on my credit.......but it obviously is as multiple banks see it.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
zero5578

Re: Late Pay Error

Ok, so just discovered that banks pull a "qualifying model" credit report, which is different than the consumer report.  Pulling a qualifying model report goes onto your report as an inquiry, where the consumer report does not go onto your report as an inquiry.  So with that info, I'm going to try and call the credit agency and dispute that way.

Anyone have any other ideas?

Message 2 of 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Late Pay Error

FCRA 611 specifically permits a consumer to dispute any information in their credit file.

A report generated from their data is evidence that the information is in your credit file.  They were the source of the data.

Include a copy of the report at issue, and it should clearly support your dispute.

If the CRA verifies the accuracy of your credit file data as not showing the information, then I would file a complaint with the CFPB for an inadequate reinvestigation of your dispute. 

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.