cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Late Payment

tag
dyanisme

Late Payment

I am SO angry with myself; I mised a credit card payment.   It was due the 10th, today is the 16th and ............ well, I just blew it.    What's worse is that I simply wrote the wrong due date on my budget.  That's what makes me so mad at myself; this was nothing more than a stupid mistake.    Can anyone give me some guidence on how badly this is going to hurt me?

Several years ago, I had gotten into some serious financial issues.   But I have worked VERY hard to turn things around, which is why I could literally cry over the fact that I missed my payment date on a credit card.    My utilization is higher than I'd like, but I'm paying that down.   And I understand that's hurting my score.  But more importantly (to me), since 2004 I had not had a single late payment and never went over credit limits.   I was being SO careful!    The only thing that I had left from the bad-credit days was an old tax lien from 2000 that is paid off, but I still have to wait for it to drop off.

Part of me thinks that I'm being silly -- this is one payment on one credit card.    I have four or five others, and they are all in good shape.  In fact, the one that I was late on is paid now.   But the fact is that it was still late.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
chasmith
Valued Contributor

Re: Late Payment

If you missed a due date it shouldn't report as 30 days delinquent sice you're already made made the payment.  You may get hit with a late payment fee but should have no derogatory hit your CR or score.

BK7 Filed 8/11/2009 Discharged 11/23/2009. Purchased new home 4/11/2012
Starting Score:11/16/2009 EQ 566 11/16/2009 TU 538
Interim Score: 12/27/2012 EQ 683 09/17/2012 EX (lender) 670 1/01/2013 TU 701
Current Score: 11/06/2013 EQ 708 11/06/2013 EX 702 11/16/2013 702 11/06/2013 TU 729
Goal Score: EQ 740 EX 740 TU 740
Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 5
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@dyanisme wrote:

I am SO angry with myself; I mised a credit card payment.   It was due the 10th, today is the 16th and ............ well, I just blew it.    What's worse is that I simply wrote the wrong due date on my budget.  That's what makes me so mad at myself; this was nothing more than a stupid mistake.    Can anyone give me some guidence on how badly this is going to hurt me?

Several years ago, I had gotten into some serious financial issues.   But I have worked VERY hard to turn things around, which is why I could literally cry over the fact that I missed my payment date on a credit card.    My utilization is higher than I'd like, but I'm paying that down.   And I understand that's hurting my score.  But more importantly (to me), since 2004 I had not had a single late payment and never went over credit limits.   I was being SO careful!    The only thing that I had left from the bad-credit days was an old tax lien from 2000 that is paid off, but I still have to wait for it to drop off.

Part of me thinks that I'm being silly -- this is one payment on one credit card.    I have four or five others, and they are all in good shape.  In fact, the one that I was late on is paid now.   But the fact is that it was still late.

The good news is that this will not show on your reports as long as it's not 31 days late after the due date. I'm sure there will be a late fee charged by the CCC but this will not hurt your score.

You might call the company and ask nicely if they could waive that late fee. It's worth a try.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 3 of 5
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@dyanisme wrote:

When did you pay it?

Message 4 of 5
jayjay21us
Established Member

I missed a due date with HSBC by 2 days and they charged me a late fee.  I used their website and sent a message, basically stating that I missed the due date it was my fault and that this was the first late payment with them and could they reverse the late payment fee...They sent back a nice message a day later that they would reverse the late fee.. also my APR didn't change...it was great because with them one late payment and they raise your APR...

I say give it a try.. all they can tell you is no...

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.