Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Late on my MORTGAGE . . . Help!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Late on my MORTGAGE . . . Help!

I am a self employed guy and business has been very slow the past two months. In turn, I am going to miss my September Mortgage payment. What should I do as far as my Mortgage Co (EMC) is concerned? Call them? Tell them what is going on with me? Is there anything I can do to prevent showing a 30 day late on my CRs? Please give me some advice. Thanks in advance!
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Miner
Frequent Contributor

Re: Late on my MORTGAGE . . . Help!

Call them and see if they can let you go up to 3 months without paying and to apply those missing months to the back on the mortgage.  I had to do that back in 2003 and my CU was the one who suggested it.  Even GMAC on my car loan was willing to do something similar for 3 months.
Current FICO8: EQ:782, TU:754, EX:767 | 1x 30 day late 6yrs ago
AAoA: 10 years; AAoOA: 13 months; Credit Length: 21 years
INQ Eq: 3 / Tu: 5 (4 for auto) / Ex: 9 (5 for auto)
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

When something like that happens and they let you go 30 - 90 days without paying, does it get flagged on your CRs??

Message Edited by johndoe on 09-23-2008 07:48 AM
Message 3 of 8
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:
When something like that happens and they let you go 30 - 90 days without paying, does it get flagged on your CRs??

Yes, unless you have an extraordinary lender. Smiley Sad
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

So what is the difference in calling them and making those arrangements and just doing nothing? Either way it sounds like they are going to flag my CRs! What is the benefit?
Message 5 of 8
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

We need others to help out on this, but...

Your lenders keep notes on your contacts with them. It is certainly no guarantee of future mercy, but I think that your chances for any kind of help would be better if you were in contact with them, letting them know your situation, inside of just vanishing from the face of the earth.

I don't have experience with this, so I have to defer to those who do. I hope that you can work something out!
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 6 of 8
Miner
Frequent Contributor

In my case, no they didn't mark my report as being late.  The adjusted my contract and I had to sign some paperwork  that moved those payments to the rear of the mortgage.  Both GMAC and my CU did this and I did not have any lates on my reports (well actually I think with GMAC I had to make some small payment, ~$50 instead of $567). 

Now a little latter on that same mortgage, I got behind 3months (they weren't going to be so nice this time) and they let me make partial extra payments to catch up.  I had to pay X extra each month and when that extra equaled an full payment they would then apply it towards my back payment (otherwise it sat unapplied in an account).  I was marked late each month until the balance was current.  This is where most of my 60 and 30 lates came from on my old mortgage.  And why did I agree to this?  I wanted to keep the house.

Message Edited by Miner on 09-23-2008 10:44 AM

Message Edited by Miner on 09-23-2008 10:45 AM
Current FICO8: EQ:782, TU:754, EX:767 | 1x 30 day late 6yrs ago
AAoA: 10 years; AAoOA: 13 months; Credit Length: 21 years
INQ Eq: 3 / Tu: 5 (4 for auto) / Ex: 9 (5 for auto)
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Anyone else have any good advice for me?
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.