Valued Member
e123

Law suit: Does this affect score ?

Question. I know someone in a dispute with a landlord. My question is :  If a law suit is filed by the landlord will this drop credit score. I know  a judgement brings your score down. Will just the fact that a law suit is filed bring down a credit score ?.  Thanks for any responses.  
Regular Contributor
dazednconfused

Re: Law suit: Does this affect score ?

No.  Not unless there is a judgment.
New Visitor
qqq111

I was sued in small claims court for $500. The judge ruled in there favor for $250. I then paid this person and satisfied the judgement within a few days. That was 3 years ago and it still hurts my score by 30-50 points. I contacted the credit agency and they said paying off the suit does not get rid of it. Just having one against me is enough. i do not think that just filing will mean anything. You need to loose to have your score affected.
Valued Member
e123

Thank you. That was my first thought.  
Valued Member
e123

Thank you. I agree I don't think just filing will hurt.
Regular Contributor
VLGaffEsq

Simply put, a lawsuit filed against you has NO effect on your credit or your FICO score; however, a judgment against you will significantly HURT you, and it will adversely affect you for several years, until it ages.  For a small amount of amount around $500, it highly advisably (to protect your credit score) to settle this matter outright before it has the power to become a major ding on your credit report!

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+