Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lease/buy (FICO effect)

tag
MLESPADA
Valued Member

Lease/buy (FICO effect)

Is there a difference between leasing vs financing a car in terms of the FICO scores? Does one method help the scores more than the other?
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Lease/buy (FICO effect)

No-A lease by definition is paying the depreciation on a given asset in a term.

When you BUY you are paying for the gross value for the term of the loan-

Unless you are upside down on a previous purchase or can fully deduct a lease - buying is usually a better option.

IMOO
- if you can't put 20% down you need =to re-think what you are trying to accomplish/doing,

There are plenty of examples of going to the dealer and buying a 30K car/truck the is worth 20-25K the day after you buy it.

I have very good friend with HIGHER fico's that have $750 a moth payments on 30K vehicles. They are upside down on the loan and and do not understand the system.

@MLESPADA wrote:
Is there a difference between leasing vs financing a car in terms of the FICO scores? Does one method help the scores more than the other?

Message 2 of 4
MLESPADA
Valued Member

Ok! got it. Thanks.
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
There are plenty of examples of going to the dealer and buying a 30K car/truck the is worth 20-25K the day after you buy it.

I

Wow, what kind of cars are you buying?
I have to say that since I like to drive a new car every few years, buying a car has long been taken out of my mind. I always lease for 3 years and get a new car at the end of the lease.
Many people have different opinions, and it works different for everyone (leasing when you own a company, for tax deductions, etc), so theres' no way of saying what's better or worst. In regards to FICO, it shows on your CRAs as an installment loan even if it's a lease.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.