Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Leaving a balance

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Leaving a balance

Hello everyone, I am trying to determine whether leaving a minimal balance on my credit card accounts (>1% ) will be considered "too many accounts with balances". Historically, I have always revolved a few accounts with less than 10-30% and the remainder of my accounts at zero dollars. Particularly, I have found that when l garden an account for an eventual increase, I will typically leave 10% to 30% on the account got a few months to prove worthiness to the issuer. I have found in the past, some issuers liked to see some accounts with $0 balances. However I have never tried leaving less than 1% on accounts. How do issuers perceive these balances, and how do they effect your CS?
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Leaving a balance

@Anonymous wrote:
Hello everyone, I am trying to determine whether leaving a minimal balance on my credit card accounts (>1% ) will be considered "too many accounts with balances". Historically, I have always revolved a few accounts with less than 10-30% and the remainder of my accounts at zero dollars. Particularly, I have found that when l garden an account for an eventual increase, I will typically leave 10% to 30% on the account got a few months to prove worthiness to the issuer. I have found in the past, some issuers liked to see some accounts with $0 balances. However I have never tried leaving less than 1% on accounts. How do issuers perceive these balances, and how do they effect your CS?

You dont want all your accounts reporting a balance at the same time you would get quite a Fico ding, it would happen even if there is just 1 on each card, you ultimately want 1 card reporting 1-9% of its CL and the rest at 0, you can rotate the accounts that report if you wish, I let 2 of 20 report a balance with no big Fico hits, it just depends how large your portfolio is as to how many cards you can have reporting a balance. You dont even need to worry about it unless you are apping for credit. IMO the issuer doesnt care if you PIF before or after the statement cuts but they do care what your Fico is.

Message 2 of 3
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Re: Leaving a balance

@Anonymous wrote:
Particularly, I have found that when l garden an account for an eventual increase, I will typically leave 10% to 30% on the account got a few months to prove worthiness to the issuer.

Keep in mind that you do not need to carry a balance to have a balance report.

@Anonymous wrote:
Hello everyone, I am trying to determine whether leaving a minimal balance on my credit card accounts (>1% ) will be considered "too many accounts with balances". 

Depends on the creditor and scoring model.  All can say is the usual "optimal is only allowing one balance to report at 10% or less but optimal is only really suggested when applying for credit".  Other than that it's up to you to determine how many balances yo uhave reporting.  Most of my cards report balances but my score straddles the 800 line so I don't worry about it.  YMMV.

@Anonymous wrote:
How do issuers perceive these balances, and how do they effect your CS?

We can't give you X points per %.  You have to test and monitor the effect on your scores.

Again, creditors vary.  X utilization and Y balances may be perceived differently by different creditors.  Don't assume that they are all identical. 

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.