Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Legislative Security freeze?

tag
Creditplz
Valued Contributor

Legislative Security freeze?

I placed a security freeze due to the fact someone compromised my wife's info, I placed one on my CR cause.... why not?? You can never be too safe,

Does "legislative security freeze" mean creditors need to have my permission via 10 digit security code??.

I tried right now placing a freeze to see what it would say and it told me "permanently remove", "give access to specific creditor", and "unfreeze for specific date range".

I don't have the 10 digit code? I was never mailed one..
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Creditplz
Valued Contributor

Re: Legislative Security freeze?

This is Equifax by the way Smiley Happy
Message 2 of 6
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Creditplz wrote:
I placed a security freeze due to the fact someone compromised my wife's info, I placed one on my CR cause.... why not?? You can never be too safe,

Does "legislative security freeze" mean creditors need to have my permission via 10 digit security code??.

I tried right now placing a freeze to see what it would say and it told me "permanently remove", "give access to specific creditor", and "unfreeze for specific date range".

To app with a freeze you need to give the code to the creditor as you will be denied for unable to access report. The number comes on a letter from the CRA indicating you have made the freeze or via email if you have chosen communication that way. If you didnt get I suggest you contact EQ,

Message 3 of 6
tacpoly
Established Contributor

@Creditplz wrote:

This means you already have a freeze on your CR

They usually provide it when you place a freeze online.  If you forget your PIN to lift a freeze, I think you can lift it by mail -- you'll have to send in a bunch of identification documents. 

Message 4 of 6
Creditplz
Valued Contributor

Ughhhh Smiley Sad only me... I'll give them a call once I leave my office
Message 5 of 6
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Years ago I had my reports frozen and I also lost one of my PINs (I don't recall which bureau). 

It wasn't the end of the world - hey, these things happen - but I did have to request a new one by mail.  It definitely taught me a lesson... from then until I lifted the freezes permanently I kept the PINs with my birth certificate and car title.

Here's the info on replacement PINs specific to EQ:  https://help.equifax.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/240/~/replacement-for-lost-security-freeze-pin

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.