Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lenders that offer Free FICO scores!

tag
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

Lenders that offer Free FICO scores!

Ok, so most of us know that a free EX FICO can be obtained from PSECU, a free TU FICO from WalMart, and a free EQ FICO from DCU.  What other banks or credit unions offer this service?

I think I could get into PSECU if I really wanted by joining PA Parks and Recreation, but would take an inquiry hit for membership + an inquiry and new account hit for opening a credit card since you have to have some type of active TL or checking account with them to use the FICO service.  But I am not switching my checking account and I don't need a new credit card.  Wouldn't it be really awesome if an actual bank, like USAA, offered an EX FICO.

So I guess I am asking why don't more lenders offer this service?  Especially big banks that do periodic credit reviews.  They probably get scores at this time.  Why not make them available to the customers?  Does anybody belong to a lender that offers these scores?  What were the requirements?

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Lenders that offer Free FICO scores!

@DaveSignal wrote:

Ok, so most of us know that a free EX FICO can be obtained from PSECU, a free TU FICO from WalMart, and a free EQ FICO from DCU.  What other banks or credit unions offer this service?

I think I could get into PSECU if I really wanted by joining PA Parks and Recreation, but would take an inquiry hit for membership + an inquiry and new account hit for opening a credit card since you have to have some type of active TL or checking account with them to use the FICO service.  But I am not switching my checking account and I don't need a new credit card.  Wouldn't it be really awesome if an actual bank, like USAA, offered an EX FICO.

So I guess I am asking why don't more lenders offer this service?  Especially big banks that do periodic credit reviews.  They probably get scores at this time.  Why not make them available to the customers?  Does anybody belong to a lender that offers these scores?  What were the requirements?

I did not receive an inquiry for my application/membership into PSECU. I have both the checking and savings accts set up ($5 in each), no inquiry either. I receive the free fico score monthly. So, you could get the free fico score without an inquiry (at least in my case that is how it happened).

I imagine though when I open the Visa CC it will be an inquiry, but I do not plan to do that until maybe December.

Message 2 of 25
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@DaveSignal wrote:

I did not receive an inquiry for my application/membership into PSECU. I have both the checking and savings accts set up ($5 in each), no inquiry either. I receive the free fico score monthly. So, you could get the free fico score without an inquiry (at least in my case that is how it happened).

I imagine though when I open the Visa CC it will be an inquiry, but I do not plan to do that until maybe December.

Wow.  Thats awesome!  So I can join, put $5 in a checking (with no penalty), and not take any hard pulls?  That sounds great!  I will have to call them immediately and see if I actually qualify, because my military home of record is PA, but its been years since I lived there.

Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 3 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

As always, it could be different for any case. They could have softed me, but that won't be visible to any other lenders. But if you can get in too w/o the inquiries, it is not a bad deal.

Message 4 of 25
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

PSECU discontinued allowing membership via PA Parks and Recreation quite a while ago if I remember correctly. 

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

They stopped it for a little while because out of state people were getting through. They have re-vamped it and allow you to join through PRPS again only if you carry a PA i.d. It's actually an option when you apply:

"I would like to join Pennsylvania Recreation & Parks Society Incorporated (PRPS) to receive their benefits and to be eligible to join PSECU. The PRPS Friend membership dues are $20. I authorize PSECU to collect and forward $10 from me to PRPS. PSECU will match with another $10 to pay the total Friend membership dues. In addition, I authorize PSECU to send my name, address, e-mail address and phone number to PRPS. To learn more about PRPS, visit prps.org. Please note: A PRPS member who wishes to join PSECU must be a permanent Pennsylvania resident."

Message 6 of 25
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

I just applied.  I have a PA drivers license, but it has a VA address on it.  I talked to rep on the phone who transferred me to another rep and neither could say for sure whether I would get in but just that I should fill out the application using a PA address and leave a comment at the bottom that I am active military... and then change it later if approved.  I hope it works.

Message 7 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DaveSignal wrote:

I just applied.  I have a PA drivers license, but it has a VA address on it.  I talked to rep on the phone who transferred me to another rep and neither could say for sure whether I would get in but just that I should fill out the application using a PA address and leave a comment at the bottom that I am active military... and then change it later if approved.  I hope it works.

Good luck!

Message 8 of 25
ninjamike81
Regular Contributor

good luck

Starting Score: TU 583, EX 683, EQ 653
Current Score: 10/12/14 TU 743 9/24/2014 EQ FICO 751,12/17/2014 EXPERIAN 772
Goal Score: 750

WALLET: CAP ONE UNSEC $2000, WALMART $3800, CITI SIMPLICITY $3600, DISCOVER IT $2000, BBRZ $2200, AMEX BCE $24,500, CHASE FREEDOM 10,500 KAWASAKI GOOD TIMES CARD $31,500
Message 9 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh yeah, whatever address you app'd for make sure there is someone there that can forward mail to you because they send a Signature Sheet that you have to sign in 10 days of receiving it.

Message 10 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.