Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LendingClub!

tag
corymcd88
Valued Contributor

LendingClub!

A friend got a loan on LendingClub at an APR of 13.99% for 3 years. Is that good rate for a 669 TU FICO? Does LendingClub report to the CB's? If yes, witch ones?

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
-Wade-
Valued Contributor

Re: LendingClub!

@corymcd88 wrote:

A friend got a loan on LendingClub at an APR of 13.99% for 3 years. Is that good rate for a 669 TU FICO? Does LendingClub report to the CB's? If yes, witch ones?

I believe a local bank could have beaten the 13.99% ......... I don't know anything about LendingClub

"Garden Club Member " Old user name newportguy*** Current Score: myFico EQ - 830 (07/16/2015) Discover TU Fico - 833 (09/03/2016) EX Fico - 839 ( 09/01/2016 ) ******* Amex - BCP 11.5K * Discover - IT 43.5 K * U.S. Bank Cash + Visa Signature 15.3 K * PenFed - Cash Rewards 15K *PenFed Power Cash 19K ** Amex - GDSM 10K ******FICO 800 Club Member ******* EQ 830 *** TU 833 *** EX 839 ***
****** Last HP & New TL was March 6th 2014 *** GOAL: No HP's or New TL's for 2 + years and 840's Scores ******
Message 2 of 17
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

That's kind of high. I think it's a better idea to just get 0% balance transfer offers.

Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 3 of 17
longtime_lurker
Valued Contributor

@youngandcreditwrthy wrote:

That's kind of high. I think it's a better idea to just get 0% balance transfer offers.

For LendingClub that's a decent APR. I agree there are probably better ways but if you don't have the credit, banks aren't likely to approve you (or at least for the limit you need). We don't know his friend's situation. 

OP, it's really not that bad. But why did your friend choose LendingClub? 

Current cards: MSUFCU Platinum, Amex PRG, Amex Surpass, Amex BCE, Citi Prestige, Citi Double Cash, Citi Premier, US Bank Cash +, Huntington Voice, AAviator, Sallie Mae, Discover IT, Chase Freedom TU:753 EQ Enhanced: 758
Message 4 of 17
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@corymcd88 wrote:

How much did they borrow?

the nice thing about doing it this way is you have a fixed payment with a fixed payoff month and if you don't run up credit cards on the side you will be debt free by 3 years vs if you go the 0% credit card route it's very easy to start paying the minimum which could be only like $50 but you would need to pay $350 to have it paid off in 3 years (my numbers are pulled from the air but hopefully you get the idea)

Message 5 of 17
corymcd88
Valued Contributor

@longtime_lurker wrote:

@youngandcreditwrthy wrote:

For LendingClub that's a decent APR. I agree there are probably better ways but if you don't have the credit, banks aren't likely to approve you (or at least for the limit you need). We don't know his friend's situation. 

OP, it's really not that bad. But why did your friend choose LendingClub? 

Why he choose LendingClub is because his bank said no, and he tried two other banks and they said no too. Well he asked me what do I think, I said it is better then paying 26.99% APR and $8.50 each mouth. He was paying about $28.00 each mouth for $1,000. The other banks said that short credit history and only a 669 credit score about two years with no installment history.

Message 6 of 17
corymcd88
Valued Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

@corymcd88 wrote:

How much did they borrow?

the nice thing about doing it this way is you have a fixed payment with a fixed payoff month and if you don't run up credit cards on the side you will be debt free by 3 years vs if you go the 0% credit card route it's very easy to start paying the minimum which could be only like $50 but you would need to pay $350 to have it paid off in 3 years (my numbers are pulled from the air but hopefully you get the idea)

He got $2,500, Pay off one card and close it, and pay down the others.

Message 7 of 17
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

I started investing in LendingClub a few months ago with some of my play funds: I'm surprised at some of the APR's I find for people (zero derogs but crushing credit card debt, looking for a debt consolidation loan at a 680 FICO and 10ish years of history on a bunch of tradelines) at 16% or higher.  I'm just guessing this is going to get refinanced down as soon as those CC's report good numbers. 

For that I think LC is great as a consumer; likewise it's non-trivial to get a personal secured loan these days especially when we're talking 15-20K.  You have to have pretty spectacular credit to qualify for unsecured loans of that much as an individual (unless you have very good income, which most of the LC people I see don't, my 14th percentile income is a lot higher than that statistically out of the LC loans requests I actually look at).  

Beyond that if you need money for something esoteric that a bank likely won't lend for, it's a pretty good place.  I see some headscratching ones get approved where I look at the request vs. the report and quickly skip.  

All in all I think peer to peer lending is going to stick around, and some banks are now using the service as well as investors: the more money that's involved and the more competition (there's Prosper and LC and I assume others will come up if there's money to be made on the transactions) the lower the price to the consumers will be over time... but saving call it 5% vs. 30k of CC debt at 20-22%, that adds up quickly especially when it can make massive improvements in your FICO score if you are at 31k revolving utilization.  

As a whole, I think there's uses for LC and Prosper when it comes to individual financial situations.

        
Message 8 of 17
user5387
Valued Contributor

I believe that Lending Club reports to EX and TU.  This has been my experience, and this thread says the same thing:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/General-Credit-Topics/Lendingclub-com-questions/td-p/1478036

Moving revolving debt to installment can boost your scores, because of the utilization angle.

As far as whether it's a good deal, you might be able to do better at CUs.

If you can get a 0% BT offer, that's great, but you may end up out in the cold with a CL that's too low to do any good.  When you most urgently need a BT card is often the wrong time to apply for one.

Message 9 of 17
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

Will start LENDING to prosper  and Lending club next month.

Though I'm currently looking at investing via Folio on the secondary market.

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.