Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Let's shut down commercial banks...go Credit Unions

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Let's shut down commercial banks...go Credit Unions

Chase- I was never late and never over the limit. They said if I want to keep my card it would go up from 9% to 24%, no reason given.

When Chase took over WAMU they made same offer. I cancelled both cards.

Discover....made same offer....cancelled that card.

I even went out of my way and sent Board of Ditectors and the VP's in charge of customer continuity regular snail mail.

I asserted that they were bailing themselves out on bad debt on the backs of the good cutomers, which we all know.

My score was about 675 at the time. It is now 760, so I send them an e-mail now and then telling them they lost my business forever.

CREDIT UNIONS  are the way to go. If you can find a CU and join it. You will see!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
smc733
Valued Contributor

Re: Let's shut down commercial banks...go Credit Unions

I'm generally alone in defending big banks, but:

I've personally had great experiences, and I think post-2008, they've learned their lesson.  They often have better online systems, and are more convenient, in some respects.

I bank with a big Bank (BofA), because I enjoy ATM access, and deposit access, pretty much anywhere.

BofA Cash Rewards VS - $25k | Citi Double Cash World MC - $18.9k | Amex BCE - $50k | Discover it - $50k | Chase Freedom Unlimited VS- $10k | Barclay Ring $5k |
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I like my banks and my CU's.

And I like some CU's better than others.  (And some banks better than other banks).

Message 3 of 6
Imhotrodcrazy
Valued Contributor

I am one of the few who can't seem to get along with credit unions.  I dumped CCCU about a year ago for several reasons, but mainly because they did not keep their word to me.   I have been with my regular bank,  ( US Bank ), for over 19 years now.  I wouldn't think of dealing with anyone else. 

FICO 08
TU 842 12/8/18
EX 840 12/29/18
EQ 842 12/8/18
(NASA 30K) ( Amex 44k ) ( Freedom 10.6K ) ( US Bank Cash+ 20k, LOC 15k ) Winners never quit, and quitters never win
last app 2/15
Message 4 of 6
fused
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Chase- I was never late and never over the limit. They said if I want to keep my card it would go up from 9% to 24%, no reason given.

When Chase took over WAMU they made same offer. I cancelled both cards.

Discover....made same offer....cancelled that card.

I even went out of my way and sent Board of Ditectors and the VP's in charge of customer continuity regular snail mail.

I asserted that they were bailing themselves out on bad debt on the backs of the good cutomers, which we all know.

My score was about 675 at the time. It is now 760, so I send them an e-mail now and then telling them they lost my business forever.

CREDIT UNIONS  are the way to go. If you can find a CU and join it. You will see!

You decided to do what's best for you. Good job on standing up for yourself.

Message 5 of 6
Regular Contributor

I have also had problems with CUs. Last summer Wells would not make my secured card unsecured. I went to the biggest CU in our area, America First. I wanted a CC. I had just been approved for an HSBC $1500 card about 8 months earlier, so I didn't think it would be a problem. I went in and she ran my credit EX 685, shouldn't be a problem, right? I had $9000 to put into a savings account. She denied me because I had started up a business last year and did not have any tax information yet. Even though I could prove employment  for 5 years before that making good money. Oh well, I cancelled. Guess what? They take half of the $30 that you have to open an account with, if you cancel within 90 days. There is no way in hell I was going to keep my money with them for 90 days if they are not going to approve me. Keep my $15 I will never step foot in here again.

I also found Bank Rates "Safe and Sound Bank" tool which lets you know if your bank or CU is in good shape. It seems like a lot of CUs around here have very poor ratings.

P.S. 2 months later WF unsecured my card. A couple weeks ago they gave me a CLI of $1000.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.