Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Letter from Collections Agency

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Letter from Collections Agency

Hello!

I received a letter from a collection's agency for a debt that only references a radiology office with no other information other than a hefty $500 bill.

I plan on sending a DV letter tomorrow....My only question is this....

Since I got the letter from the CA does this mean it is already on my credit report? Or does it only show up if I ignore the letter?
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Letter from Collections Agency

It will likely show up.

One thing about medical collections is the HIPAA laws vs collections.

CAs send a 'we don't have enought information' letter to you.  To which you should DV without providing them the information they ask in their letter.  In your letter, state that by your admission, since you lack the information you require on this matter, you cannot report this on my credit report until you have correctly validated this account.  Addtionally, request to turn over copies of all information given  to them by the OC.

I submit that even reporting the name of the medical firm is a HIPAA violation.

Think about a fertility clinic as the OC, for example.  How hard is it to deduce that you have a fertility issue.  That is medical disclosure IMHO.

I feel medical collections is a very slippery slope.

HIPAA says the healthcare provider or health plan may disclose only the following information about you to a collection agency or credit bureau.

bulletName and address. bulletDate of birth. bulletSocial Security number. bulletPayment history. bulletAccount number. bulletName and address of the one claiming the debt.

Of course, the name of the healthcare provider may contain clues to the medical condition of you or members of your family. Recent amendments to the federal FCRA enacted by Congress in 2003, the Fair and Accurate Credit Transactions Act, change the way medical collections appear in credit reports. The names of healthcare providers must be masked if they would disclose the type of medical condition for which you sought care. For more about medical information and new FACTA rules, see PRC Fact Sheet 6(a), www.privacyrights.org/fs/fs6a-facta.htm#7

Message Edited by JimmyMagno on 04-14-2008 08:11 PM

Message Edited by JimmyMagno on 04-14-2008 08:16 PM
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Letter from Collections Agency

Thanks for the advise.  I couldn't wait for the slow poke mail to send my DV letter so I went straight to the source.

It turns out I was sent to collections by mistake.  I took the email correspondence back and forth with the director at the Dr's office and sent the DV letter to the collections agency with the emails stating this was an error.

The Director at the Doctor's office says the CA has been advised, but I figured it best to be on the safe side and send the ltr to the CA too.
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.