Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Letter from Verizon Wireless - huh?

tag
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

Letter from Verizon Wireless - huh?

After 20 plus years with Verizon Wireless, I canceled my service last November (Started with GTE Mobile, then Bell Atlantic, then Verizon). I just got tired of the price going up it seemed like every month, and txt overages, call overage, data plans, data overage, taxes, service charges, etc. Anyway, I'm now on an unlimited no contract T-Mobile plan for 50% of the cost of my "contracted" Verizon plan and it works just fine.

Today I got a letter from Verizon Wireless. You can't make this stuff up, to think its someone's' job to produce this stuff. I wonder if I'm going to be dunned for past due charges now since they are still billing me for $00.00? I scanned the letter and was going to upload it, but for the life of me I can't figure out how to post pictures on myFICO so I'll just type it out below. Note too that the bill was paid in full and reflected a $00.00 balance as of November 2011. The letter made me go "huh?" Maybe I'm missing something.....

Verizon Wireless (logo)

PO Box 4003

Acworth, GA 30101

February 2, 2012

My Name

My address

My address

RE: Verizon Wireless Account Number Ending with xxxx

Dear Customer,

Your Verizon Wireless statement is now available for viewing online.

Our records indicate that all wireless lines on your account have been discontinued. While you can still view and pay your disconnected account online using My Verizon, you will need to log on using your user name rather than your former Verizon Wireless phone number.

Please note that any future bills will be sent to you by mail.

We appreciate your business and hope to be able to serve your wireless needs again in the future.

eServices and Support

Verizon Wireless

I did check online, yup a new statement was posted for Dec-Jan, billed $00.00, Balance due $00.00.

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: Letter from Verizon Wireless - huh?

Nice ~ I guess that they want to make sure that you don't forget them after you have left.

Probably there is some billing reconcilliation going on, checking and double checking for anything they might have missed.....Smiley Wink

I'd be sure to save your last bills, showing 0 balance as well.   Just in case....

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Probably just a form letter confirming that your lines are in fact discontinued, and the last statement reflects your last payment and current balance due, $0.00.  But as suggested, save that letter and last statement just in case. 

Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

We dropped our AT&T family plan and changed over to gophones which actually was a LOT better (unlimited calls, text and internet for $50 per phone as opposed to $55 per phone for no internet, 1400 minutes per month for calls and no text).

Months after we closed the family plan I was still getting bills for $0.

I called them a couple times and finally the bills stopped coming.

They told me it was likely that the system was still kicking out bills for a while there and nothing to worry about.

Message 4 of 14
HoldingOntoHope
Valued Contributor

I cancelled a Verizon Wireless account after 10+ years of service about 2 years ago. I paid the final bill in the store at time of cancellation. The following monthly billing I got a bill for $0.04. Tried to pay it on-line, No-Go. Called Verizon and they said forget it, they would make an internal adjustment. Next month, same bill.

I finally went into a store and insisted that they take my four cents and give me a receipt. I kept getting Verizon Bills for 3-4 months with a zero due as well as numerous letters and e-mails inviting me back. I haven't heard from them in a while now, but their billing closeout is apparently not as efficient as some of their other services.

I had no particular complaints with either their phone service or customer service, Like the OP my complaint was with their pricing so I voted with my wallet and went elsewhere.

Best financial advice I ever got: "Just imagine what an adult would do and do that."

Starting Score: 500's
Current Score: EQ 701 (FICO) TU 721 (FICO) EX 715 (Quizzle)
Goal Score: 760 ALL

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 5 of 14
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

@HoldingOntoHope wrote:

I cancelled a Verizon Wireless account after 10+ years of service about 2 years ago. I paid the final bill in the store at time of cancellation. The following monthly billing I got a bill for $0.04. Tried to pay it on-line, No-Go. Called Verizon and they said forget it, they would make an internal adjustment. Next month, same bill.

I finally went into a store and insisted that they take my four cents and give me a receipt. I kept getting Verizon Bills for 3-4 months with a zero due as well as numerous letters and e-mails inviting me back. I haven't heard from them in a while now, but their billing closeout is apparently not as efficient as some of their other services.

HA! You win Smiley Very Happy your story with closing out Vzw. is better than mine ( 4 cents). I do reserve the right to re-post when Verizon starts dunning me for the $00.00 though.

The letter just seemed like a waste of paper and effort to me.

Message 6 of 14
FrugalRican
Blogger

I switched from T-Mobile ($73 a month) to Virgin Mobile ($37 a month) and after paying the balance in full and making sure the account was definitely closed... I got a another bill this month, for $0.00 as well.

I guess it was done to confirm that I would no longer be charged by T-Mobile?

They had some nice promotional offers though, but they still don't come close to what I'm paying with Virgin Mobile.

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 7 of 14
MattH
Senior Contributor

Many years ago, shortly before moving I went in person to the Phone company office and said: I am moving out of state, here is my new work address because I don't have my new residence address yet, I want service at my old address to end on [date], how much should I pay you right now such that I will end up not owing anything?  I added that I would put any toll calls on a prepaid calling card I had just purchased for use while between residences (this was before everybody had cell phones).  After a few minutes of pushing buttons on her computer, she said "X dollars and Y cents" which I paid.

A couple months later at my new work address I got a bill for something like seven cents (I suppose the estimate of payoff amount had been slightly in error), I forget the exact amount but I specifically remember it was less than the postage they had paid to send me that bill.  I ignored it, and never heard from them again.

TU 791 02/11/2013, EQ 800 1/29/2011 , EX Plus FAKO 812, EX Vantage Score 955 3/19/2010 wife's EQ 9/23/2009 803
EX always was my highest when we could pull all three
Always remember: big print giveth, small print taketh away
If you dunno what tanstaafl means you must Google it
Message 8 of 14
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

Contact VZW CS and ask to be transfered to In House Recovery to get any questions you have cleared up.  VZW does not report to either of the 3 buearues, but the CA they sell the account to, will.

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 9 of 14
JM-AM
Valued Contributor

@Repo-ed wrote:

Contact VZW CS and ask to be transfered to In House Recovery to get any questions you have cleared up.  VZW does not report to either of the 3 buearues, but the CA they sell the account to, will.

This is a YMMV situation as Verizon does report to all 3 bureau's.

There are enough testimonies on this site for contact information for GW's for Verizon because they are reporting.

Good Luck
May all your dreams and wishes become a reality!
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.