cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Letter specific to a CA falsifying reporting?

tag
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Letter specific to a CA falsifying reporting?

No, I really thought Chase was taking over the Star Card and I started panicking. I knew about the Mastercard, just did not know it was Chase. Big relief. I depend on that card waaaay to much! I could see Chase telling me, Your credit sucks, pay off the balance and cut up the card.
Message 11 of 25
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@guiness56 wrote:
OK that scared me. I contacted AAFES and found out that in fact, there is one card called the Military Star Rewards Mastercard. Chase still has nothing to do with the actual Military Star Card.

- You will earn points in the rewards Program when you use your Rewards credit card for purchases. Your Rewards credit card has a dual function that allows you to access two credit card accounts with separate lines of credit - a MasterCard account issued by Chase Bank USA, N.A. and a Military Stars Private Label account issued by the Exchange Credit Program. This dual credit card is called the Military Starsm Rewards MasterCard.

Thanks, guiness! We non-military people are always playing catch-up ball while trying to keep up with the AAFES stuff.

So, straight AAFES is handled by AAFES.

The co-branded/ affiliate AAFES/MC is Chase.

Good to know! I wonder what DoD dimbulb picked Chase as a partner. So many military personnel are really young and not knowledgeable about credit --not a good match for Chase, IMO.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 12 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

I can tell you at least one person in a position of semi-authority resents the he!! out of the affiliation... that being the CFO of MCCS at Camp Lejeune. ha.

The military, unfortunately, is always a few steps behind the "smart and responsible" curve, unfortunately. Look at the gov contracts they themselves structure! And have any of you ever tried to buy a new printer or office chair if you work on base? It's IMPOSSIBLE! We had to get three separate bids and go through the whole rigamarole when our ceiling was actively pouring water into the hallway! (I've worked as a gov contractor & as a gov emp in the past Smiley Wink )  Anyway, they aren't too savvy about finances themselves, can't expect them to make the best decisions for their young soldiers/sailors/airmen/Marines...
Message 13 of 25
guiness56
Epic Contributor

What gets me is your credit is such a huge thing in the military. Why would the powers that be even consider a move like this? Across every branch of the service men and women are in trouble already, credit wise. Why add to that?

Since the MasterCard is a dual card, each has two separate lines of credit, one for Chase one for AAFES. One has nothing to do with the other. According to AAFES, Chase only has power over their credit line only and AAFES over theirs. When you use the card it can access two totally separate accounts.

I am glad I have the stand alone Star Card. I see big problems.

Message Edited by guiness56 on 04-25-2008 07:31 PM
Message 14 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Precisely. They are doing something, it's just a little misguided.
The give out the Star Card, which has lower-than-average interest rates & rewards you pretty well for good behavior. Buuuut, they don't really tell you how to use it wisely.

They notify your command if you start to get in financial trouble so your CO will be up your butt to fix your situation, buuut they don't yet have a program to teach them how to AVOID the financial trouble before it starts!

The give out monstrous reenlistment bonuses if you reenlist in theater, but don't advise them how to NOT blow that money on a cash purchase of a BMW, iPhone & XBox... 

Ditto for sea pay & combat pay: Here's tons of money, don't blow it. That's about as in-depth as the financial advise I've seen.
Message 15 of 25
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Here on McChord, we do have a credit/budgeting class that is mandatory for first term airmen. And people like myself who have/had credit issues was directed to attend.

Yes, you get 2 payments behind on your card and they send a letter to the 1SG. Not a pleasant experience to be in.
Message 16 of 25
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@guiness56 wrote:
Here on McChord, we do have a credit/budgeting class that is mandatory for first term airmen. And people like myself who have/had credit issues was directed to attend.

Yes, you get 2 payments behind on your card and they send a letter to the 1SG. Not a pleasant experience to be in.

But just imagine how useful it would have been for all the civilians on these forums!

Two screw-ups, and an immediate atomic wedgie. That might have halted some not-so-smart credit behavior pretty quickly.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 17 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

HTSU-
Very true. But the finer points, like "if the only card you have is the StarCard, a) it's not a real cc and b) if you keep it maxed out your score will be crap..." are not of any interest to the military.
Message 18 of 25
guiness56
Epic Contributor

I believe most colleges offer some sort of free classes. At least here. I am beginning to wonder if it is because 1. Of the Military presence and 2: It is a high cost of living area.

At any rate, as a civilian I would have never considered going to those classes. If I was made to go, I would have. Too bad when you go in to take out a loan or what ever, you are not asked to attend a credit /budgeting class.

Yes, atomic wedgies are extremely helpful. I know.
Message 19 of 25
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

We had a Marine SSgt (may have the rank wrong) post here 4 or so weeks ago; stationed in Iraq, and trying to pull together a for-real credit class.

Is there anything similar for spouses? Might be possible to have something a bit more in-depth, and if that were successful, it might be picked up for the original classes.

I remember hearing about how a relative's first wife was bouncing checks, and HE got hauled on the carpet. Yikes. That could not have been much fun at home that evening.
Message 20 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.