Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LexisNexis is a royal in my keister!

tag
Officer737
Established Contributor

LexisNexis is a royal in my keister!

Thanks to LexisNexis and their "wonderful reporting" (those letters are dripping with sarcasm), they cause me several headaches. I can't get online quotes from some insurance companies that are accurate or when I do have do security questions to verify my identity......that really gets interesting! I was insurance shopping a few years ago thinking that I might switch companies I was ifnormed that I was involved in a wreck about 9 months before that and could I provide a copy of the wreck report. I stopped them and informed them that I have not been involved in a personal wreck in 25 years! They informed me that my "report" said I was. As I am a law enforcement officer I immediately checked my MVR and said "sorry, my MVR shows clear as it should be". I was then advised that LexisNexis was reporting that I was in one driving a white Chevy Implala. Come to find out, they attached some other guy's wreck to me because we had a similar name and at one time or another, lived on the same road even though it was 20 some odd block difference on the house number.

I called LexisNexis and asked them about the information that said  that yes it was me and they were leaving it on my "report" no matter. I asked them could they confirm the driver's license information and the report number and that's when I was shocked I just about flipped my top. The license number didn't even match as the number were so far off that it wasn't even funny. Not to mention that the other person's license was REVOKED! The case number looked familar as did the wreck location and then I found out why......I WORKED THE WRECK AS THE INVESTIGATING OFFICER!! I informed LexisNexis again of the issue and they said "well your listed on the report" again I pointed out to them "of course, you idiot....I wrote the report!". Even pointed out to them that the person listed was a different race than I am and they still said "tough, deal with it". 

So until whenever this falls off of whatever the hell the do, I have to keep dealing with it. And by the way, the insurance quotes are double to triple what they should be because of it. 

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
EmmaGolden
Frequent Contributor

Re: LexisNexis is a royal in my keister!

I called LexisNexis and asked them about the information that said  that yes it was me and they were leaving it on my "report" no matter. I asked them could they confirm the driver's license information and the report number and that's when I was shocked I just about flipped my top. The license number didn't even match as the number were so far off that it wasn't even funny. Not to mention that the other person's license was REVOKED! The case number looked familar as did the wreck location and then I found out why......I WORKED THE WRECK AS THE INVESTIGATING OFFICER!! I informed LexisNexis again of the issue and they said "well your listed on the report" again I pointed out to them "of course, you idiot....I wrote the report!". Even pointed out to them that the person listed was a different race than I am and they still said "tough, deal with it". 

So until whenever this falls off of whatever the hell the do, I have to keep dealing with it. And by the way, the insurance quotes are double to triple what they should be because of it. 

I was just on the LexisNexis website & found it totally confusing. When I was looking how to freeze acct. I did notice that you can limit information shared. One of the qualifying factors is that you are in Law Enforcement. Might be worth looking into.Also, you can request your file if it is affecting insurance rates, etc.

Message 2 of 11
Officer737
Established Contributor

@EmmaGolden wrote:

I was just on the LexisNexis website & found it totally confusing. When I was looking how to freeze acct. I did notice that you can limit information shared. One of the qualifying factors is that you are in Law Enforcement. Might be worth looking into.Also, you can request your file if it is affecting insurance rates, etc.

Thank you! I am going to look into this. 

Message 3 of 11
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

I think you should pursue this with the CFPB.  There has to be a way to correct erroneous info on the lexus nexus report. 

For the CSR to say that the accident has to stay on your report because you investigated the accident in the course of your employment is nuts.  

Try one more time to get a CSR that is reasonable. If you don't get any action then file a complaint with the CFPB.  If that doesn't work - take lexus nexus to court.  This is affecting you financially in more ways then just getting insurance quotes online. 

Message 4 of 11
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

They are required as a consumer reporting agency to provide you a free annual report.

I would immediately file a formal dispute of accuracy of the accuracy of the information as your next step.

Informal calls are not adequate to compel a "reasonable reinvestigation" that you can bring private civil action upon.

You will need the results of their reinvestigation of a dispute if you later decide to purse civil action.

Message 5 of 11
EmmaGolden
Frequent Contributor

@RobertEG wrote:

They are required as a consumer reporting agency to provide you a free annual report.

I would immediately file a formal dispute of accuracy of the accuracy of the information as your next step.

Informal calls are not adequate to compel a "reasonable reinvestigation" that you can bring private civil action upon.

You will need the results of their reinvestigation of a dispute if you later decide to purse civil action.

This is copied from LexisNexis website; 

"Please note that LexisNexis Risk Solutions is not a credit bureau and does not maintain a database of credit information. We do not have the ability to add a security freeze to your credit file."

It is in the section in reference to freezing account. It goes on to give you name & addy of the main 3 CRA's.

Yes, there is a address to request your file on the website.

Message 6 of 11
StartingOver7
Valued Member

I can totally relate to this.  I, too, was recently rate shopping and was getting outrageous quotes.  Liberty Mutual quoted me $4,000/month!! Yes, four THOUSAND A MONTH for one vehicle.  When I called to find out why so high, they mentioned that there were violations on my CLUE report and I needed to contact LexisNexis to dispute them.  Come to find out, all of them belong to my brother (who does not live with me) and has a terrible driving record (I have a clean record).  Yet LexisNexis is showing that he lives with me, when in fact, he has never even been to my house!  Also, I'm a female with an obvious female name and completely different from his name.

Thankfully, I'm currently insured with Amica with a decent rate, but I think this is ridiculous.  I was able to file a dispute over the phone, but was told that there is a likelihood that these violatations may not be deleted as they are not only tied to my name but also my address.  It was very evident to the CSR that they belonged to him and not me, yet she was unable to simply remove the erroneous items. So frustrating!!

Message 7 of 11
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Yes, they make the assertion that they are not a credit reporting agency.

However, a class action suit was brught against them (Berry v. Lexis/Nexis et al) in which they were accused of violations of the FCRA, and they responded with the defense that they were not a CRA.  The class plaintiffs obviously disagreed.

The case was mediated prior to trial, and a Settlement was reached wherein Lexis/Nexis agreed to monetary and other awards.

The Court thus did not decide which side is right or wrong in this case.  Instead, both sides agreed to a settlement to avoid the costs and risks of a lengthy trial and appeals process.

I would not rely upon their statement that they are not a CRA stand as factual.

They are listed by the CFPB as a CRA.

They are, in my opinion, and those of many in the legal community, fully subject to all requirments of the FCRA, including the obligation to provide a free annual report, and the requirment to reinvestigate disputes of the accuracy of their reports under FCRA 611.  That was the basis for the class action suit against them in Berry et al.

The FCRA definition is:

"FCRA 603(f)

The term "consumer reporting agency" means any person which, for monetary fees, dues, or on a cooperative nonprofit basis, regularly engages in whole or in part in the practice of assembling or evaluating consumer credit information or other information on consumers for the purpose of furnishing consumer reports to third parties, and which uses any means or facility of interstate commerce for the purpose of preparing or furnishing consumer reports. "

Message 8 of 11
Officer737
Established Contributor

Just about every wrong piece of information that have could simply be cross refertenced and cleared up....but they choose not to do that

Message 9 of 11
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

oh wow... this is such a nightmare and even worse than for me. I regularly cannot pass verification questions because I simply have no clue on the answer as it does not apply to me. So far I never looked at that report but I guess it is about time I request a copy and check what type of info they have on it.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.