Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

License to Collect

tag
TryingVeryHard
Frequent Contributor

License to Collect

Can an individual sue a LAW OFFICE for collecting debt, if they are acting as collector and yet does not have a LICENSE TO COLLECT?

I live in State of Connecticut, this law firm I am talking about also operates in CT and have CT Address. I checked the CT licensing website and theirs is not listed.

Though this account is not listed in the Credit Report and since the last time they attempted to collect a debt was 3/24/06 (thats the last letter provided to me by my friend (the debtor)), should I bother DV'ing ?

Or should we let this agency keep on sleeping?
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: License to Collect

TryingVeryHard wrote:
Can an individual sue a LAW OFFICE for collecting debt, if they are acting as collector and yet does not have a LICENSE TO COLLECT?

I live in State of Connecticut, this law firm I am talking about also operates in CT and have CT Address. I checked the CT licensing website and theirs is not listed.

Though this account is not listed in the Credit Report and since the last time they attempted to collect a debt was 3/24/06 (thats the last letter provided to me by my friend (the debtor)), should I bother DV'ing ?

Or should we let this agency keep on sleeping?

In Ct. a CA can never file a lawsuit!!!!!  they must hire an attorney within the state to file the suit!!!!

The attorney will not be licensed as a CA.  BUT   the attorney MUST have a license as an attorney in this state.

You never DV an attorney ( I wouldn't )  You can & should DV a CA!!!

Message Edited by HappyDays on 01-24-2008 10:19 PM

Message Edited by HappyDays on 01-24-2008 10:21 PM
Message 2 of 6
TryingVeryHard
Frequent Contributor

This law firm is actually a P.C. I Was actually asking if INDIVIDUAL CAN SUE a PC (professional corporation) who tries to collect without a license.

Message Edited by TryingVeryHard on 01-24-2008 10:25 PM
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

TryingVeryHard wrote:
This law firm is actually a P.C. I Was actually asking if INDIVIDUAL CAN SUE a PC (professional corporation) who tries to collect without a license.

Message Edited by TryingVeryHard on 01-24-2008 10:25 PM

Im not sure....call the phone # that I gave you for the banking dept. OR write them with complete info.  Name, address   everything.  they should be able to tell you.

Where are you in Ct.
Message 4 of 6
TryingVeryHard
Frequent Contributor

I live in Greenwich. I am helping my friend who has issues with his credit report. I dont know how to get started. I am thinking of DV's everything in the credit report. I disputed all of them. Thinking that maybe someone will not be able to validate.
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

TryingVeryHard wrote:
I live in Greenwich. I am helping my friend who has issues with his credit report. I dont know how to get started. I am thinking of DV's everything in the credit report. I disputed all of them. Thinking that maybe someone will not be able to validate.

Im in Danbury.

I always advise to do nothing until you know your SOL!!!  Even a simple dispute can trigger a lawsuit.

They usually come alive when they know that you are checking your CR.

You have already disputed so they know that you are checking. You might as well DV them.  IF not past SOL OR if they are licensed in Ct. be ready to pay!

Remember  never talk to them (they might start calling)   Never sign the DV and send CMRRR.

Look at CR and match the CA with the OC  if you can. Go by the amount owed or anything that matches.   Get the DOFD and DOLA  from OC  reporting.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.