Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Licensed Collections

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Licensed Collections

What happens if a collection agency is attempting to collect a debt in a state where they are not licensed?...Is it illegal or what?..Just curious..I just did a search on Hudson&Keyse who are attempting to collect a debt from me so I did a search on collection agencies licensed in Nebraska ( Where I reside) and their not licensed here..Im about to pay em some money but am doubtful of them..Any advice would be highly appreciated!!
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Licensed Collections

Are they reporting?
Is the debt past SOL?

Hudson & Keyse is a JDC -
DV and report them.
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes they are reporting and I'm within my SOL...I just made a big mistake by offering a settlement to them but I havent paid them anything yet...I didnt dv or anything...what should I do?...pls advice!!
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

how do i go about reporting them?..
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

It looks like they're legal. From Nebraska statutes 45-601:

No person, firm, corporation, or association shall conduct or operate a collection agency or do a collection agency business as defined in the act until he, she, or it has secured a license as provided in the act. Any person, firm, corporation, or association conducting or operating such a collection agency or doing such a collection agency business without a license shall be guilty of a Class III misdemeanor for each day that such unlawful business is conducted. Any officer or agent of a firm, corporation, or association who personally participates in any violation of the act shall be guilty of a Class III misdemeanor.

Nothing contained in this section shall be construed to require a regular employee of a collection agency duly licensed as such in this state to procure a collection agency license.

Nothing in the act shall be construed to prohibit a person, firm, corporation, or association regulated as a collection agency in another state and residing in another state from communicating with a debtor in this state.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.