Established Contributor
thankfulheart

Re: Living in credit "fear"

InvincibleSummer2 wrote:

For me, it's not just credit fear - it's "not having any financial stability whatsoever" fear.  I always have to double-check, usually in the restaurant parking lot, that I have enough for the meal if I'm planning on paying with a debit card. I've driven cars with expired tags, so I still get a "uh-oh" kind of feeling when I see a police car as I'm driving in traffic.

For me it was really all tied in with a part of my life where I wasn't taking very good care of myself. Fortunately, I'm not in that position any more.

Y'know,  I think you nailed it for me.  I had a long stretch in life where there was no financial stability.  Now that there is some, it's still hard to get past that self-doubt and fear.

As far as being "spoiled", I'm sorry, but unless you're walking in my shoes, please refrain from name-calling.  You have NO idea what my life is like and why refrigeration and cooking appliances are a necessity for my family that I am willing to take some credit debt on for in the short-term. That sounded very "I walked to school uphill both ways in the snow, barefoot, on broken glass" to me. 

Starting Score: 10/1/2011 EQ 568 TU 593
Current Score: EQ 664 TU 700 EX 701 (FAKO)

Frequent Contributor
fuzzybean

thankfulheart wrote:

InvincibleSummer2 wrote:

For me, it's not just credit fear - it's "not having any financial stability whatsoever" fear.  I always have to double-check, usually in the restaurant parking lot, that I have enough for the meal if I'm planning on paying with a debit card. I've driven cars with expired tags, so I still get a "uh-oh" kind of feeling when I see a police car as I'm driving in traffic.

For me it was really all tied in with a part of my life where I wasn't taking very good care of myself. Fortunately, I'm not in that position any more.

Y'know,  I think you nailed it for me.  I had a long stretch in life where there was no financial stability.  Now that there is some, it's still hard to get past that self-doubt and fear.

As far as being "spoiled", I'm sorry, but unless you're walking in my shoes, please refrain from name-calling.  You have NO idea what my life is like and why refrigeration and cooking appliances are a necessity for my family that I am willing to take some credit debt on for in the short-term. That sounded very "I walked to school uphill both ways in the snow, barefoot, on broken glass" to me. 

I wasn't referring to cooking and refrigeration.  I find those necessities in life.  New furniture...not so much.

Shogun

No dining room table yet myself, been in the new house a year.  Just haven't got to it.

Starting Score: 504

July 2013 score: EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!
Senior Contributor
Booner72

We filled our new house with craigslist furniture and stuff bought at places like Habitat For Humanity.
STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+