cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Locking in rate soon...need last minute advice about score!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Locking in rate soon...need last minute advice about score!

Hi all!

Okay, I am getting ready to close on a home I'm having built and the mortgage company is going to be pulling credit again in the next couple of weeks for us to lock in a rate.  I have brought my EQ FICO scores from 608 to 642, TU from 624 to 685 (I have no idea what EX is at but it started out at 605 so it's probably close to EQ).  I have really been focusing on EQ because they were my mid score. 

Here is my dilemma...I would LOVE to get my EQ over a 660 (at 642 now) and am not sure if I should attempt anything else. 

I've paid everything to under 9%...I have two cards...Credit One with a $14.15 balance ($300 limit) and Cap One with a $30 balance ($500 limit which hasn't reported yet, high balance was $350)....SHOULD I PAY THESE OFF WITH $0 BALANCE?  I have read some conflicting posts so I am still unsure about that.  I DON'T want my score to go down.  I am definitely going to pay them to a 1% balance though.  The card that I owe $14.15 on has a minimum payment of $14.00...should I just pay $14 or should I use the card for coffee and leave another $2.00 balance on it?

Also, the Cap one card turns 6 months old this month and the Credit One card will be a year in Dec, so from what I understand, the aging might help.  

I also have a PAID medical collection that I paid off in June (before I knew of pfd).  I mailed a gw letter and the collection was deleted off of TU, but NOT EQ or EX.  I was going to send another gw letter to try to get it deleted off the other two and then I realized that maybe it was a mistake to have come off of TU...I'm worried they will report it to them again if I churn the waters.  After I realized it wasn't coming off of EQ, I disputed but it came back verified.  What do you advise?  Have you ever heard of a CA reporting negative info again after receiving a gw letter?  I posted and asked about mailing EQ something from TU, but you guys didn't think it would make a difference and I can't dispute online again...I've been using MyFico and I dont' have a current report number.  Should I mail in another dispute?

The only other bad thing on my CR is a paid lien for $455 that was PIF in 3/07.  I mailed them a GW letter and never heard back.  I am going to mail them another one, but I'm not counting on anything to change.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Locking in rate soon...need last minute advice about score!

Your Capone should report the CL on the next statement.

You are right about the 6 month mark-

I would do exactly what you are describing- 2 1% balances.

They won't take correspondence for other CRA's (I have tried this)

I say leave the lien and CA alone- they may just update the date and be a deal breaker.

Count on the UTL points and the Age.
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you!

That's what I was thinking...I would hate to ruin all of my hard work!

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

looks good to me. I was told by my mortg. broker that they do not like unpaid collections or liens.  IF what you PIFd  is not showing paid....give your broker your receipt showing it was paid....you should be ok.

After they mortg. is ok'd    then try calling on GW letter & ask for deletion on EX and EQ.  BUT I have found that they are slow & you might see them drop before mortg. pull.

WTGGGGG
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I actually PIF without a PFD and then sent a GW letter later on.  I'll keep my fingers crossed.
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes that is good. After paying all you can do is PIF.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.