Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for advice on an old account

tag
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Looking for advice on an old account

I first want to say thanks for everyone for their insight on this board. You all rock! Due to acting on posted suggestions, my wife and I both raised our FICO scores by as much as 92 points for mine and 58 for hers, since starting last month. I'll post more info on what we did on a later date.

We have a CC account listed in each CRA. It is Applied Card Bank (via Cross Country Bank). On each CRA, Applied is listed as a charge off, rather than a collection account, but also listed as closed by consumer's request. We have disputed this as "not mine". We never received any notice, letter, or any mailing ever from "Applied Card Bank". EX and EQ verified it last week and TU's results are TBA.

We are pack rats and found the last statement by Cross Country Bank. It is dated in October 2000. We made our last payment two or three months prior, leaving us a balance due of $360. It then went to two CA's until it went to a 3rd: Wolpoff & Abramson in March 2002. They said we owed $777 and offered a settlement of 70%, which we accepted. We sent a cashiers check CMRRR which they signed for. This left a balance of $225. Sure enough, a new CA picked it up the $225 four months later and it continued through 6 other CA's up through late last year. We never disputed this until we did last month through the CRAs. None of the CA's (9 of them) are on the CRAs.

EQ says it was late 16 times with a DOLA of Aug. 01. EX says 29 lates with DOLA of Feb 02 and a last pmt of Apr. 02 (matches cashier's check date). TU says 0 lates with a DOLA of Apr. 2002 and a date closed of Apr 2001. TU also states that this will fall off 12/07 (I don't know what the others say).

Questions: If DOFD is technically 8/2000 and EQ doesn't recognize the last pmt, should I leave it alone? TU is willing to drop it by year's end.

Should I fight it via a DV? If I showed them the settlement letter from W & P and payment, could it get re-aged to Apr. 2002 with a deletion of Apr. 2009?

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Looking for advice on an old account

Wow.  Wolpoff and Abramson is one of the unscrupulous CAs, so this doesn't surprise me that 1) they added outrageous (and probably illegal) fees to the original amount owed and 2) they sold the remaining "amount due" to another CA.

That account from Cross Country Bank will fall off all of your reports by the end of the year, so you may be better off sending a GW letter to Cross Country Bank asking them to remove the entry since you satisfied the debt.   I'll turn it over to the GW letter experts to give more information about this.

Regarding the nice stunt that W&A pulled on you - I'm betting that the CA that's claiming that you owe $225 isn't reporting to the CRAs because they know that it's a bogus debt (for a lack of a better term).  
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.