Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for an apartment and putting in credit checked applications

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Looking for an apartment and putting in credit checked applications

I have a somewhat unique situation going on.  My mother passed on in October.  I was living in the family home at the time of passing.  The home is being sold, it's in Escrow, and I'm looking for a property to purchase.  In the meanwhile I have a limited amount of time (April 6) before it closes.  I placed three rental applications that all check my credit.  I'm hoping that the one inquiry hit for multiple checks within a period of time for mortgages also applies for rental applications.  Does anyone know if I apply for different apartments that it only counts as one, because it says Rental Check?  So far my credit was checked by the two rental companies and I only see one inquiry being reported.

In case anyone is curious, I'm trying to secure a location regardless.  I need a place to land into if I don't find a home.  This way I have an apartment secured while I look for a home.  I did three applications because the first one was to secure something.  The second was in the area I liked, and the third was because they offered a six-month lease VS. the other two that wanted 12-month leases.  I also know the property management company as I was with them for 10 years.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Looking for an apartment and putting in credit checked applications

@Anonymous wrote:

I have a somewhat unique situation going on.  My mother passed on in October.  I was living in the family home at the time of passing.  The home is being sold, it's in Escrow, and I'm looking for a property to purchase.  In the meanwhile I have a limited amount of time (April 6) before it closes.  I placed three rental applications that all check my credit.  I'm hoping that the one inquiry hit for multiple checks within a period of time for mortgages also applies for rental applications.  Does anyone know if I apply for different apartments that it only counts as one, because it says Rental Check?  So far my credit was checked by the two rental companies and I only see one inquiry being reported.

In case anyone is curious, I'm trying to secure a location regardless.  I need a place to land into if I don't find a home.  This way I have an apartment secured while I look for a home.  I did three applications because the first one was to secure something.  The second was in the area I liked, and the third was because they offered a six-month lease VS. the other two that wanted 12-month leases.  I also know the property management company as I was with them for 10 years.

Each one is separate there is no 2 week grace period where all related inqs are counted as 1 in the eyes of Fico like there is with auto & mortgage pulls. If you have only gotten 1 HP so far thats a good thing. How about staying with other family or friend until you actually close on a new home for yourself?? Something to look at to avoid all the pulls.

Message 2 of 5
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm hoping that the one inquiry hit for multiple checks within a period of time for mortgages also applies for rental applications.  Does anyone know if I apply for different apartments that it only counts as one, because it says Rental Check?

Nope but I'd think that finding a place to live would take priority over avoiding HP's.  The effect of the HP's tapers and falls off relatively quickly.

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't have any other family out here.  I have cats which is the problem.  I had to find a place that accepts all of them with no issues and a pet security deposit.  I have to secure me because I love my cats, they were there for me, I've had them for quite a long time, and I couldn't bare to separate from them or lose them.  I'm going through so much change that it would kill me for that to happen.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

gdale has you covered answer-wise. I just wanted to add my condolences for your loss and good luck in securing a place for you and your kitty family. 

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.