Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost credit cards and change of address

tag
Kyva
Valued Member

Lost credit cards and change of address

I received a BCE approval letter with a FICO score 774. I was shocked because my credit history is pretty thin considering that my oldest account is a student loan opened ~3 years agao. My AAOA is less than 2 years and had 3 credit cards at time of application.

As a student, my mails all got sent to a more static permaennt address which is my Uncle's place. I just picked up mails from them to find that all credit cards mails were missing but regular mails and CC offers.

No fradulent activity as yet on my new Discover account, and my old citi account. I don't know for AMEX as I'm unable to open an online account with them as yet.

Now everything gets more complicated -- My uncle's moving, and I'm moving within a month as well. I absoutely don't want to send proof of address documents to each of the CC issuer and checking/saving account bank. On documents for proof of address, I won't have any utilities bill in my name, is that going to be alright?

I want to change my mailing address in just one of my account, and hopefully it would be reported to the credit report which then other CC companies can change my address without any proofs. How should I proceed?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: Lost credit cards and change of address

IF you suspect that someone has taken your credit cards then I would immediately contact your creditors via telephone and request new cards.    Most Creditors will send you a replacement card quickly ~ AMEX will sometimes expedite replacement cards.

When I have moved, I have simply updated my address with the creditor online.   None of my creditors ever asked me to verify or prove that I lived at my new address by providing bills or statements or anything.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 7
Kyva
Valued Member

My concern is that as of right now I cannot actually request a replacement card to be sent to my "new" address since I will not be moving in til late May.

Requesting replacement cards to be sent to addresses other than the one I provided to them in the application would seem to cause troubles. It does seem like they would require verification of address at least in the case for lost new credit card and the request of replacement card sending to a different address.

Because of this, requesting replacement cards to be sent to my current address also seems not an option because the times it takes to verify and then wait for a repacement card to arrive.

In anycase, I should contact discover & AMEX right now and see what I can do in this situation.

Thank you!

Message 3 of 7
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

I'm not sure that I understand ~ do you not currently have an address where you can receive mail, or is it that all of your CCs are going to your uncle's address now ?

Either way, at a minimum you need to verify that there are no fradulent charges on any of your accounts.   You should be able to check your card balances on~line or via telephone.

Message 4 of 7
Kyva
Valued Member

My permeanent address on record with every bank I have an account with is my Uncle's address.

I just called Discover and AMEX and got them to send replacement creditcard to my current Univeristy address. I only had to verify my idenetiy. Also, superb customer service from Discover and AMEX. I would not be able to imagine having to deal with capital one in this kind of issuse -- I had dealt with them before since my mother has an account with them.

Thanks for your help pizzadude!

Message 5 of 7
Kyva
Valued Member

Hmm, also -- AMEX is expediting the shipping of the replacement card which the rep said would arrive by tommorow afternoon 5pm. Do I need to be at home and sign for it?

Message 6 of 7
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@Kyva wrote:

My permeanent address on record with every bank I have an account with is my Uncle's address.

I just called Discover and AMEX and got them to send replacement creditcard to my current Univeristy address. I only had to verify my idenetiy. Also, superb customer service from Discover and AMEX. I would not be able to imagine having to deal with capital one in this kind of issuse -- I had dealt with them before since my mother has an account with them.

Thanks for your help pizzadude!

Cool !  I'm glad they were helpful, both AMEX and Discover have good reputations so I'm glad they lived up to it.

As far as signing for you card, it might depend on your FedEx delivery person.   I don't recall ever having to sign for AMEX replacement cards, and sometimes they have been left at the front door.   However if you live in a residence with a lot of traffic around the door I doubt they would just leave it.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.