cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost... to cancel or not to cancel, to apply or not to apply...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Lost... to cancel or not to cancel, to apply or not to apply...

Hi all, my first post and looking for some advice...

In the past 4 years ive opened up a handful of credits cards for various reasons...

Card 1) Opened around March 2013? -- this is a company card, it is a "charge" card, Im not sure how this works on a credit report. I only use it for company travel. It is a JP Morgan Chase Corporate Card.

Card 2) Slate around End of 2013/beginning 2014?, transferred balance of other credit cards.

Card 3) Sapphire -- around end of 2013/beginning of 2014? I know I did pay the annual fee, so it has been opened at least a year

Card 4) credit union - Transferred balance from slate after promo period expired.

My credit is in general excellent, last I had it run was within the past 3 months for a mortgage pre qual, he told me it was 771 @ the time, and my statements from Discover (and one other card) generally show me in the high 700s/low 800s routinely.

My bills are always paid in full and on time, with exception the balance on the navy fed which is about 10K with 0% interest.

I have a car loan - about 8k left on it.

My current mortgage is about 160k purchased in 2012.

Anyways In addition to that - I have a few other cards that I have had for years and years, thats my credit garden. They are all active with the oldest one dating back probably 15 years when I was 18. My amex is at least 10 years old, and the others are probably about the same 10, 9, 8 years old at least. Probably 4-5 accounts total.

My issue is this, I signed up for the sapphire card to take advantage of the absolutley awesome bonus points deal, and above and beyond that I was taking advantage of the 1:1 points transfer with amtrak. As of DEC-7 amtrak is no longer accepting the points, so no more free tickets for me.

These tickets have saved me a considerable amount of money as I trek back and forth on amtrak about 4 times a month. With the amounts i charge (which is everything) I am usually able to score at least a free ticket, a month, sometimes more depending on purchases about. I value it at round about 125$.

So I can apply for the amtrak card and get those rewards back -- how bad would this ding my score?

Should I cancel the Sapphire card? Is it around 100$ a year annual fee, and I wont be using the points much anymore since I am not able to transfer to amtrak. If I cancel, considering it is a new account, how bad will this ding my score?

Within the coming year I am planning to purchase a second property/residence(hence the reason for the mortgage prequal above), and would like very much not to have my score disqualify me for a great rate.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give..

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
enerey
Regular Contributor

Re: Lost... to cancel or not to cancel, to apply or not to apply...

I would try to do a PC on sapphire card if you don't want to pay the annual fee anymore, paying a fee for a card is not worth it if it had no benefit to outweigh the fee.

Message 2 of 3
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Re: Lost... to cancel or not to cancel, to apply or not to apply...

@Anonymous wrote:

So I can apply for the amtrak card and get those rewards back -- how bad would this ding my score?

We can't tell you that you'll see an impact of X from applying.  If your scores are as you indicated then you probably have nothing to worry about as you're past the 740-760 range with FICO 8.  If you want to avoid the HP and hit to AAoA then see if you can PC the CSP into the Amtrak though I doubt Chase will do that and you wouldn't earn any sign on bonus.

@Anonymous wrote:

Should I cancel the Sapphire card? Is it around 100$ a year annual fee, and I wont be using the points much anymore since I am not able to transfer to amtrak. If I cancel, considering it is a new account, how bad will this ding my score?

Your call to make.  I don't keep cards that are of no use to me regardless of AF.  However, you need to decide based on your needs/wants/preferences/priorities/goals and not based on polling others.

@Anonymous wrote:

Within the coming year I am planning to purchase a second property/residence(hence the reason for the mortgage prequal above), and would like very much not to have my score disqualify me for a great rate.

If your mortgage mid score is 771 you have a little wiggle room to remain above the 740-760 range.  If you want to play it absolutely safe then deal with the cards once the mortgage is finalized.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.