Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MI State Tax Lien - WITHDRAWAL SUCCESS!! UPDATED

tag
BluePoodle
Valued Contributor

MI State Tax Lien - WITHDRAWAL SUCCESS!! UPDATED

Apparently, back in 2005 there was an error in my taxes which resulted in me owning taxes for the 2005 Tax year with the State of Michigan.  I relocated in 2006 out of state and sold my property.  Now today, all of the sudden there is a negative hit on my Equifax report that I have a State Tax Lien with the State of Michigan. I would not have even know about it otherwise.  I was told that it is from my 2005 taxes. Apparently in 2009 or 2010 (it depends on the person explaining it to me) the error was realized and they attempted to contact me via mail to my old Michigan address. Obviously, I was no longer there and the information was never forwarded. They filed a State Tax Lien in October of 2012. 

According to the Michigan Government website:

Under the authority of public act 122 of 1941 as amended, the Collection Division is responsible for the collection of all delinquent state tax accounts for the State of Michigan. The Department may proceed to collect your delinquent tax debt by using several different enforcement methods. The Collection Division can use collection enforcement action for a minimum of 6 years to collect the debt. The 6 year period, known as the statute of limitations, may be extended by certain actions such as a court judgment."

I am trying to understand how they can file a lien in 2012 for 2005 State Taxes.  I don't care about the bill, actually I already paid it. What I am upset about it that it is now negatively hurting my credit report and will remain there for 6 or 7 years for the 2012 filing.  Will the credit agencies remove it since it is actually from a 2005 debt or am I just out of luck and the state and credit agencies can do whatever they want? 

I have written to Equifax and explained the situation.  But I am not sure if they will remove it or not. Any thoughts?

"

CapOne $7500 | Discover $8500 | Amex ED $25K | Barclay SM $5700 | Chase Disney $500 | Chase Slate $5K | Target $3K | Hilton Amex $2K
Gardening Since 4/3/2017
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
OhioCPA
Frequent Contributor

Re: State Tax Lien Question???

Unless Michigan has a way similar to the IRS to withdraw liens, I think you are stuck.

You likely need to get a lien release from the State of Michigan and file it in the court where the lien was filed. The clock on deletion will start running from the filing of the release.

I assume the six years statute of limitations runs from the date the return was due or filed, whichever is a later date. Thus, if you filed on April 15, 2006, they had until April 15, 2012 to file the lien.

________________________________________________________________________________
Message 2 of 14
BluePoodle
Valued Contributor

@BluePoodle wrote:

Apparently, back in 2005 there was an error in my taxes which resulted in me owning taxes for the 2005 Tax year with the State of Michigan.  I relocated in 2006 out of state and sold my property.  Now today, all of the sudden there is a negative hit on my Equifax report that I have a State Tax Lien with the State of Michigan. I would not have even know about it otherwise.  I was told that it is from my 2005 taxes. Apparently in 2009 or 2010 (it depends on the person explaining it to me) the error was realized and they attempted to contact me via mail to my old Michigan address. Obviously, I was no longer there and the information was never forwarded. They filed a State Tax Lien in October of 2012. 

According to the Michigan Government website:

Under the authority of public act 122 of 1941 as amended, the Collection Division is responsible for the collection of all delinquent state tax accounts for the State of Michigan. The Department may proceed to collect your delinquent tax debt by using several different enforcement methods. The Collection Division can use collection enforcement action for a minimum of 6 years to collect the debt. The 6 year period, known as the statute of limitations, may be extended by certain actions such as a court judgment."

I am trying to understand how they can file a lien in 2012 for 2005 State Taxes.  I don't care about the bill, actually I already paid it. What I am upset about it that it is now negatively hurting my credit report and will remain there for 6 or 7 years for the 2012 filing.  Will the credit agencies remove it since it is actually from a 2005 debt or am I just out of luck and the state and credit agencies can do whatever they want? 

I have written to Equifax and explained the situation.  But I am not sure if they will remove it or not. Any thoughts?

"

Well this is one of my OLD threads. But I thought I would update...I am requesting a Certificate of Withdrawal of the State Tax Lien.  I never received a Notice of Intent to Assess, nor did I receive a Letter of Inquiry. I have paid it but I am of course mad that it is on my CR when I was not even aware of it. Now I am stuck with if until 2020 unless I can get the withdrawal granted.  They have their money, so here is hoping that they will! I will update when/if I hear anything!

CapOne $7500 | Discover $8500 | Amex ED $25K | Barclay SM $5700 | Chase Disney $500 | Chase Slate $5K | Target $3K | Hilton Amex $2K
Gardening Since 4/3/2017
Message 3 of 14
BluePoodle
Valued Contributor

@OhioCPA wrote:

Unless Michigan has a way similar to the IRS to withdraw liens, I think you are stuck.

You likely need to get a lien release from the State of Michigan and file it in the court where the lien was filed. The clock on deletion will start running from the filing of the release.

I assume the six years statute of limitations runs from the date the return was due or filed, whichever is a later date. Thus, if you filed on April 15, 2006, they had until April 15, 2012 to file the lien.

You bring up some excellent points. And now that I am back in MI and able to find my original documents I have learned that 

My Taxes were filed April 15th, 2006. The Initial Filing Date with county court was 10/30/12. The Date of Lien Notice was Issued 10/18/2012. The Deputy Treasurer signed the Notice of Tax Lien on 6/10/13.  All three of these dates are beyond the 6 year statute of limitations court filing date.  

I have submitted my letter and I feel I paid after they could even legally seek the $ or file the Lien.  We shall see!

Gardening Since 4/3/2017
Message 4 of 14
BluePoodle
Valued Contributor

@BluePoodle wrote:

@OhioCPA wrote:

You bring up some excellent points. And now that I am back in MI and able to find my original documents I have learned that 

My Taxes were filed April 15th, 2006. The Initial Filing Date with county court was 10/30/12. The Date of Lien Notice was Issued 10/18/2012. The Deputy Treasurer signed the Notice of Tax Lien on 6/10/13.  All three of these dates are beyond the 6 year statute of limitations court filing date.  

I have submitted my letter and I feel I paid after they could even legally seek the $ or file the Lien.  We shall see!

I thought I would update what I have learned about my state of Michigan Tax lien.

I have learned the Statute of Limitations is 4 years from the time of filing your state of MI taxes. But once they determine that you owe taxes that triggers another 6 years that that they can persue legal actions.  If you never filed your taxes but you were supposed to, then those limitations do nol apply to you. I am note sure what is the trigger date as of yet for that 6 years. There were various letters that were required to be sent prior to that, of which I have only received 1 but there were two others that were required that I never did receive. So I am trying to obtain copies and vary the addresses and manner in which they were sent.  I will be writing yet a 3rd letter to the SOM in regards to this.  

I doubt that it will go in my favor based on what I have shared above even though I never received notices that I should have.  I just thought I would share this for others to look at based on their liens, states and tax situations.

Gardening Since 4/3/2017
Message 5 of 14
BluePoodle
Valued Contributor

OH MY GOSH!!!!! MY BIGGEST VICTORY EVER!!!!!  Smiley Very Happy

The State of Mi has responded to my second request and is WITHDRAWING my tax lien. It is paid but would have remained on my report until 2020.  I have a certified letter for the withdrawal!  I need to check the County Register of deeds to see when it will officially removed and then I can start with the three CRA's to submit my letter!!!!

I am so amazed and surprised!  This is the best news ever I have had as a Gardener!!!!

Once completely removed I will only have a 90 day late on my report.

Thank you to everyone here for the encouragement and info. I could never have done this without this communities knowledge and support.

I WILL UPDATE HOW I DID IT LATER WHEN I GO BACK THROUGH MY INFO SO I CAN SHARE IT PROPERLY.

FOLLOW THIS THREAD IF YOU ARE INTERESTED!

Gardening Since 4/3/2017
Message 6 of 14
BluePoodle
Valued Contributor

"To the State of Michigan, Collections Division

I am responding to the letter on June 10th, 2014 by XXX, Office of Collections, Special Procedures Unit.  According to the Taxpayer Rights Handbook available on the State of Michigan Website, as a resident and taxpayer, I was entitled to specific notifications prior to the state of Michigan placing a tax lien on me.

I had the right to have ALL of the following notices sent to me; 1) Letter of Inquiry sent to me, 2) Letter of Intent to Assess, 3) Bill for Taxes Due, 4) Final Demand Letter, and finally Begin collection action. According to the letter I received from XXX on June 10th, of this year, the only correspondence send to me was the Letter of Intent to Asses which was send to XXX. What about the other three letters of notification that I was entitled to receive? Additionally, I had two addresses while in KY from 2006 - 2012. This was one of the two.    

I am requesting that the Office of Collection issue a CERTIFICATE OF WITHDRAWAL OF THE STATE TAX LIEN to remove the lien from the record of the Register of Deeds in XX County. I want this to be removed from my credit file with Experian, Equifax and TransUnion. I had paid the lien and I do not even know if I should have or not, but I do not want it on my credit report when I never received the proper notifications that I was entitled to."

I just wanted to let you know that if you learn what your rights are as a tax payer for your state, that if those procedures are not followed fully, that you have a decent chance at success for your lien to be withdrawn. I probably could have gotten out of paying it but since it was payed, I am satified with just having the lien withdrawn and moving on!

Gardening Since 4/3/2017
Message 7 of 14
Fordstacie
Established Member

I'm in a similar boat. I also have a lien in Michigan which I haven't paid as of yet. Can you inbox me how you went about getting it removed? Who you wrote to etc? Thanks so much!

Message 8 of 14
jim44
Established Contributor

Congrats BP.  State Income tax is why I left that state 30 years ago. 

Message 9 of 14
BluePoodle
Valued Contributor

I called TU and my lien is gone!  EQ has put in the request to have it removed so hopefully soon (I have conformation #) and last EX is just waiting for documents to show up in their system. So by this time next week, I should be lien free from CRA's Still need to submit to minor agencies....I'll get those requests out shortly, just so it doesn't show up anywhere and then I am freezing those reports anyway!

Gardening Since 4/3/2017
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.