Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MY SCORES CAME UP

tag
red456
Valued Member

MY SCORES CAME UP

FROM SEPTEMBER 22 MY SCORES INCREASED AS FOLLOWS EQUIFAX 575 TODAY IS 618 TRANSUNION 525 SEPTEMBER 22 TODAY IS 587

FOR AN OVERALL TOTAL INCREASE FROM JULY 262 POINT INCREASE ACROSS THE BOARD. I IS A HAPPY WOMAN

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
HoldingOntoHope
Valued Contributor

Re: MY SCORES CAME UP

Congratulations! Those are HUGE improvements in your scores. Would you mind sharing with the community the changes in your credit file between 09/22 and the current scores. It's always good to learn from someones personal experience what works.

Best financial advice I ever got: "Just imagine what an adult would do and do that."

Starting Score: 500's
Current Score: EQ 701 (FICO) TU 721 (FICO) EX 715 (Quizzle)
Goal Score: 760 ALL

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 2 of 7
red456
Valued Member

PAID DOWN CREDIT CARDS AND SENT LETTERS AFTER LETTERS ASKING FOR PAY FOR DELETIONS AND PAID OFF COLLECTIONS THAT WERE REALLY LOW AND SHOULD HAVE BEEN PAID BEFORE THEY WENT TO COLLECTIONS, LIKE 22 BUCKS AND A FEW FOR AROUND 40. IT WAS TIME CONSUMING BUT SO VERY WORTH IT. I ONLY OWE 140 ON A CREDIT CARD NOW AND WONDER IF I SHOULD KEEP A BALANCE OR  WOULD GAIN MORE POINTS BY PAYING IT OFF. I HAVE READ  TO DO BOTH ON HERE SO NOT SURE WHAT TO DO ON THAT ON.

Message 3 of 7
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@red456 wrote:

PAID DOWN CREDIT CARDS AND SENT LETTERS AFTER LETTERS ASKING FOR PAY FOR DELETIONS AND PAID OFF COLLECTIONS THAT WERE REALLY LOW AND SHOULD HAVE BEEN PAID BEFORE THEY WENT TO COLLECTIONS, LIKE 22 BUCKS AND A FEW FOR AROUND 40. IT WAS TIME CONSUMING BUT SO VERY WORTH IT. I ONLY OWE 140 ON A CREDIT CARD NOW AND WONDER IF I SHOULD KEEP A BALANCE OR  WOULD GAIN MORE POINTS BY PAYING IT OFF. I HAVE READ  TO DO BOTH ON HERE SO NOT SURE WHAT TO DO ON THAT ON.

Welcome to myFICO.

Everyone's situation is different and there is no one size fits all approach to this but what seems to work well for most people is to have only one of their cards report a small (<9% of it's credit limit) balance each month and then pay in full before the due date. You can use it as much as you want during the month but what's important is the reported balance because for most cards whatever is reported on the monthly statement is what is used to calculate utilization for the month.

You might have to play around with the percentages for a few months to see what works best for you. Some people say that 1-3% utilization helps the most. For others it might be 5-9%. As I said it's not one size fits all.

On any other cards always try and have them report a zero balance each month. That doesn't mean you can't use them just make sure that the desired zero balance on these accounts is achieved several days before their statements post.

Along with individual and overall utilization, FICO also scores the number of all types of accounts reporting a balance.at any one time Making sure less than half of all your accounts report a balance helps most people.

Now this approach really isn't necessary if you're not looking to apply for any credit in the near future or unless you are trying to tweak your score for maximum effect but some folks do this as a hobby just to see how high they can get their score.

And may I ask one favor of you? Could you please turn off your "CAPS LOCK"? It's hard to read a post in all caps. Thanks!!

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 4 of 7
HoldingOntoHope
Valued Contributor

C'mon Marine. The OP is just REALLY EXCITED. I would be too if I could get a score jump like that. LOL

Best financial advice I ever got: "Just imagine what an adult would do and do that."

Starting Score: 500's
Current Score: EQ 701 (FICO) TU 721 (FICO) EX 715 (Quizzle)
Goal Score: 760 ALL

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 5 of 7
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@HoldingOntoHope wrote:

C'mon Marine. The OP is just REALLY EXCITED. I would be too if I could get a score jump like that. LOL

I understand.  Smiley Happy

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 6 of 7
Barry
Administrator Emeritus

** locks thread **

Hello red456, 

For the last time...nobody is making fun of you.  It's just that this is not one of those communities where you can talk to people as you have done here. If you're having a bad day, I hope your evening is better and you'll come back to contribute in a more positive manner.

-Barry

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.