Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Macy's 30 day late help!

tag
Cazten

Macy's 30 day late help!

Hello,

I've recently had some trouble with a Macy's account. I previously had a credit score in the high 700's. I've now come to find that I'm in the low/mid 600s after a couple Macy's 30 day lates on my report! This is the only blemish I've ever had and it's killing me in a time where Im looking at a loan.

The first is from February. This was a billing period where I never paid the balance until the following month. I had received a letter in the mail that they owed me a credit, which was more than my minimum payment. I had very incorrectly assumed they would automatically deduct from this credit. The period of march I called in and explained the situation. I was informed the credit needed to come as a check, but they waived the late fee and i made the account current. Apparently it was still reported.

The next two, back to back, are June/July. My bill is due the 15th. Both cycles had the bill payed the 16th, and the money was verified pulled from my account the 18th. This cycle for July I even called in because I attempted to pay it on time online but the system errored. I called, payed the bill by phone 1 day late and had the late fee removed.

The two months for June/July realistically are my fault compeltely. I rarely use this card, and don't seem to get statements in the mail or email for months now. I'm thinking they never properly updated my address and I just havnt corrected it. BUT, I'm confused as to why I'm receiving a 30 day late! I'm 1 day, not 30 days!
I want to call they're credit line tmo and see if I can get any of these removed but I'm completely confused on what constitutes a "30 day late". Are they in the wrong for reporting it that fast? Do I have a leg to stand on telling them to remove the June/July lates as they were NoT 30 days delinquent, or is the 30 days rule just a technicality.
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Macy's 30 day late help!

I would contact them, explain it to them as you have here and ask for a deletion of the lates.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 2 of 10
Cazten

I will be calling them tomorrow. However, I'm trying to arm myself with information to fight it with. The largest issue being the 30 days late policy. I'm finding conflicting information on how this works.

Some places indicate that 30 days past the due date is a cra rule. Thus with this thinking I should be able to demand June/July is removed from my report as inaccurate.

Other places say that 1 day late can be reported as a "30 day late" on cra, but just isn't a industry standard. This would mean I have to play my cards purely as a good will removal.

I'm trying to understand what my rights are to approach this as I doubt I'm going to get a good will gesture. The accounts only a couple years old, and almost never has a use. I'm not a valuable customer lol.
Message 3 of 10
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

It must be 30 days past the due date to be considered late. If it isn't, then you have a justified complaint.
July 2013 score:

Message 4 of 10
Cazten

Perfect! I'll definitely use that then. That certainly makes it befuddling as to how you can report a July/2013 payment as 30 days late, when July isn't even over :/
Message 5 of 10
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

@Cazten wrote:
Perfect! I'll definitely use that then. That certainly makes it befuddling as to how you can report a July/2013 payment as 30 days late, when July isn't even over :/

Now that I would have to agree on.

July 2013 score:

Message 6 of 10
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Being late on a payment does not become reportable to the CRAs until 30 days after the billing due date.

If a payment is due on, say, the 15th of June, paying on the 16th is a late under the account agreement, but does not become reportable to the CRAs as a 30 day late until after July 16th.

Message 7 of 10
Cazten

So I called the 18006272909 to speak with someone this morning. It seams they are breaking the periods into dec-February, and march-July. I'm not really understanding why but apparently they can only look at one period at a time so there sending me a review letter for February in 7-10 days, then I can call back to handle the June and July lates.

Does this sound right? Seems very odd to me that we can't just get all three rolling. I tend to be a pretty easy person to deal with should I call back and be more demanding the other two?
Message 8 of 10
need2improve
New Contributor

So in the end what was the outcome?

Starting Score: 486 TU 3/2/10
Current Score: TU 603 EQ 582
Goal Score: 640

Message 9 of 10
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@need2improve wrote:

So in the end what was the outcome?

Unfortunately the user in question hasn't signed on since a day after the last message.

        
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.