cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Making Certain Your Name Matches Exactly with Each Credit Account to Increase Credit Score?

tag
KeithDMA

Making Certain Your Name Matches Exactly with Each Credit Account to Increase Credit Score?

About a month ago I was listening to a talk radio show on Sirius XM and heard a woman tell the listening audience that if you make sure your names match your drivers license and are they remain identical for each card that your score can go up as much as 30 points.  She said something about the algorhythms could not verify all of your different names, i.e some including the middle initial and some not.  I wrote to Clark Howard and got a call back.  They have never heard of such a thing.  I decided to ask in this community.  I have since called in to all of my credit card companies and had my name changed to include my entire middle name, just like my driver's license.  My score has gone up slighty but there could be other reasons for that.

AMEX Blue Cash Everyday $19.5k | PenFed Platinum Rewards Signature Visa $25k | Discover IT $19.5k | Chase Sapphire Preferred $17.9k | Andrews Federal Globetrek Rewards Visa $19.5k | Community America Platinum Cashback Visa $17.5k | Citi Diamond Preferred Mastercard $20k | PenFedCash Rewards Visa $25k | Macy's AMEX $7,600

FICO - 802

The best indicator of your future credit behavior is your past credit behavior.
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Making Certain Your Name Matches Exactly with Each Credit Account to Increase Credit Score?

@KeithDMA wrote:

About a month ago I was listening to a talk radio show on Sirius XM and heard a woman tell the listening audience that if you make sure your names match your drivers license and are they remain identical for each card that your score can go up as much as 30 points.  She said something about the algorhythms could not verify all of your different names, i.e some including the middle initial and some not.  I wrote to Clark Howard and got a call back.  They have never heard of such a thing.  I decided to ask in this community.  I have since called in to all of my credit card companies and had my name changed to include my entire middle name, just like my driver's license.  My score has gone up slighty but there could be other reasons for that.

That is very interesting....I wish I had something to add to this but I dont except thanks for the info, and Im gonna research this as well.  

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Making Certain Your Name Matches Exactly with Each Credit Account to Increase Credit Score?

It does make you wonder!  My middle name on my license is my maiden name which is just the first letter "I" instead of my real middle name which starts with "A".  My hubby always went by his middle name.  Never his birth name.  But we were told to put his whole birth name on the deed to our home?  I never checked to see what is actually on them.  I know my husband's has many alias' since he uses his middle name all the time & it is not correct & doesn't match his licesnse.  Thanks for this info!  

Message 3 of 4
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

While it may be possible that an account could be omitted or misreported due to discrepancies in how names were entered, name doesn't have a direct impact and your identitiy and reports aren't matched solely on name.  One can review one's reports to see if there are missing accounts.  Further, reports contain variations of names.

@KeithDMA wrote:

She said something about the algorhythms could not verify all of your different names, i.e some including the middle initial and some not.

Scoring algorithms use whatever data is in the report.  The algorithms do not go out and search for your accounts.  It wouldn't be a matter of scoring algorithm but CRA reporting.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.