Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Massive difference in FICO/FAKO scores?

tag
drogers86

Massive difference in FICO/FAKO scores?

Hi!

This would be my first post on this forum, so please excuse me if I've posted in the wrong area, or if this exact issue has been raised before. 

Actually, I know there have been posts about difference in scores, but none of those were quite as close to my situation, nor did they answer my questions.

So here goes: 

I've recently had my credit on the mend, undoing the frivolity of my youth, and things are going along pretty well. I only have two negative things on my credit reports that will be gone by april. Aside from that, the remaining accounts are all good. 

In 2007, my aunt added me as an AU on her AMEX account, which she opened in 2000. On my credit reports, it shows that I've had an AMEX since 2000 as well (I'm guessing that account histories are transferable) Because of her high credit utilization (over 90%) I asked her a few years later to take me off, which she did. I noticed an immediate 30pt jump in my score. Now, two years later that AMEX account still shows on my credit report. It shows a zero balance, though, and is giving me a 13 year history with that account.

Question #1: Is this normal? For that account to still be on my credit report after I've been removed as an AU? (Not that I'm complaining, it gives me a credit history longer than my actual one, and shows a $0 balance on a $40k CL)

Moving on:

I recently decided to apply for my own AMEX and was denied. Before applying, I read up on which CRA they use, average scores, what factors might negatively impact me, etc. I had those two negative things on my report, but they are from years ago, so I wasn't worried about those. In their rejection letter, AMEX stated that the reason they declined my application was because of my FICO score. They told me they got my FICO score from EX, and since there's only one "official" FICO score, I'm guessing that they got the FAKO score from EX's in-house scoring system, or whatever (right?).

On the myfico website, my score is 793 (which surprises me because I previously used mycreditinform to track my score and there it was always ~690). The score AMEX told me that was on my EX report was a sorry 595. In other posts I've read about 70 point diferences, but holy cow, this is almost a 200 point difference! 

Question #2: 200 points? What the heck is the deal with that? 

Thanks guys!

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Massive difference in FICO/FAKO scores?

Something strange going on here.  What did AMEX list your score as?  Because AMEX uses FICO EX08, which is the same exact one that's sold here.  With a 793 I don't see why they would decline for score.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 2 of 18
donahue
Valued Member

amex dont  use fako 

Message 3 of 18
drogers86

See, that's what I thought. The letter I got from AMEX said my score was 595, but the one I get from myFICO is 793. 

Message 4 of 18
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

And it was EX they pulled?  Sounds like maybe a split file, but EX isn't known for that.  

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 5 of 18
J_G
Regular Contributor

I would make sure that they pulled the right report? Call them and see if they have everything correct. Maybe you can have them re-evaluate your application because EX could have very well sent them an incorrect report or you have something negative that may have hit your report.

7/1/13 - EQ = 593 TU = 578 EXP = 573 FICO
8/11/13 - EQ = 600 TU = 590 EXP = 603 FICO
10/1/13 - EQ = 611 TU = 689 EXP = 605 FICO
12/4/13 - EQ = 625 TU = 648 EXP = 604
Lender Pull 2/18/14 - EQ = 630 TU = 678 EXP = 594
Lender Pull 2/28/14 (EQ 640) (TU 660) (EX 655) Rapid re-score =)
9/30/14 - EQ = 660 TU = 710 EXP = 669
Message 6 of 18
donahue
Valued Member

next thing Amex only use in-house scoring system, for cli not for new accounts 

Message 7 of 18
HiLine
Blogger

@Shogun wrote:

Something strange going on here.  What did AMEX list your score as?  Because AMEX uses FICO EX08, which is the same exact one that's sold here.  With a 793 I don't see why they would decline for score.

How did you know which FICO score Amex used? Smiley Surprised

One possible theory for the score difference is the dates of the reports. Amex may have soft pulled the OP a while ago and determined the credit score based on the old credit report which may have some negative items. Yeah, I say negative items because they are the only thing that could possibly cause a 200 points difference.

Message 8 of 18
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Does it give you a score range for the score they used?  It could be a bankcard enchanced FICO also.

I have seen numerous posts, none of which I can find now, that says AMEX uses 08,  Someone posted the letter they received and it also said the same thing.

Message 9 of 18
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

This may not apply to you , but i have noticed that ccc that use fico 08 scores, which i think amex uses. They tend to not count any account you are an AU on so that is why there may be an huge discrepency in scores. For me my TU fico from Walmart, which i think also uses fico 08, is 110 points lower than TU fico from myfico. That may be what is happening to you i am not really sure tho:-(

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.